Thursday, November 29, 2007

Points of Interest (at least, hopefully so)

Tomorrow is the Blog Pledge Class for November posting day...so make sure your name is on the list if you want your blog or a blog you like featured. Just send me the link and a brief description and I'll post the blog!

Also, I haven't got a topic up for the Hump Day for next week. Feel free to send me suggestions. In fact, keep in my mind that you can send topic suggestions any time.

It has been pointed out to me that I should mention this:

My site was nominated for The Blogitzer!

and

My site was nominated for Best Parenting Blog!

You do have to go to the Blogger Choice Awards and register to vote (if you choose to vote). It's a fairly easy and painless process. If you right click on the badges above, and open a new tab or window, then it should take you to the spot to vote. Just make sure you log in.

I'll admit it: this is very cool and an honor, and any vote will be a nice feeling. Thank you.

I got tagged for two memes. Lori at Spinning Yellow tagged me for the 7 Facts meme and the Queen of the Mayhem tagged me to love myself nonsensically through the Alphabet List.

You know me...it's got to have a twist. So the 7 facts will be six true things and one lie. You tell me which is the lie. I'll try to make it relatively easy, and I'll keep to a bit of a theme.

1. I met Stevie Ray Vaughn, Charlie Sexton and Jimmie Vaughn in a bar once. It was after they'd played a local gig, and we shot some pool and then they took out guitars and sang a couple of songs.

2. I was That Girl who leapt up on stage with a band once, overcome by my adoration of their music. The kindly lead singer took pity on my blatant fanhood and let me stay up there with him and sing a song.

3. I chatted with Sarah MacLachlan over margaritas after a small venue performance early on in her career. I'd never heard of her before that performance (although my date had) and I was very taken by her singing ability. She graciously received my accolade and tolerated my questions about her inspiration.

4. I sat in on a recording session by Garth Brooks. I also "sat in on" his rehearsal before a sold out concert. In that case it meant outside the room; he's got stage fright and is nervous so rehearsals are closed to other people.

5. My best friend from elementary school and I reunited later to perform a rousing duet on piano and viola of "Brian's Song" that moved one judge to tears and won us the top competitor's honor for that year. Having achieved that pinnacle, I quit music entirely.

6. Both my husband and I have near perfect pitch hearing, which has been passed to our children, who were able to distinguish notes and tunes from a very early age. However, they also both inherited our completely off-pitch voices, which is sad considering that they also inherited composition ability from both gene pools, too.

7. My first concert was to Bruce Springsteen and was involuntary. My dad won tickets and sent me and my sister alone. We were both so young he had to drive us, drop us, and pick us up. We were not the same girls he dropped off when he picked us up. We returned knowing a lot about marijuana, sex, the state of Bruce's marriage (at the time), and we never said a word about any of it to either parent.

I am short on time for the alphabet thing so let's just hammer it out:

A- Assertive
B- Bold
C- Critical thinker
D- Dynamic (stolen from Heather and it works)
E- Eloquent (also stolen from Heather and it works, too)
F- Frank
G- Generous
H- Helpful (also stolen, also appropriate...by the way, Heather and I took some Facebook Quiz and got similar enough to be the same difference...see why I can just keep lifting from her? LOL)
I- Intelligent
J- Judicious
K- Knowledgeable
L- Loyal
M- More than a little feisty
N- Natural
O- Open-minded
P- Peaceful (there is a flip side to the feisty)
Q- Questioning
R- Responsible
S- Serious
T- Tall (also stolen, also appropriate)
U- Unique (stolen again, still on target)
V- Varied
W- Well-grounded
X- X means experimental
Y- Yearning
Z- Zealous

I tag: Melissa at Taking What is Left, Yolanda at Callipygian Chronicles, Christine at Running on Empty, Angela at Mommy Bytes, Cerebralmum, Professor J, and Michele at the Squawkery...to say hello to new friends and thanks to older friends. It's nice to know you and I look forward to learning more through the memes!

(Pay attention that Old and New friend thing because one is Silver and the other is Gold...which just might be a rhapsody on a theme of blog exchange coming up this Saturday.)

I also pass along the Thank You award that Angela kindly gave me:


to each of the tagged above (and yes, I know that means a couple of you get it twice, but I may as well tag AND say thanks!)

Copyright 2007 Julie Pippert
Also blogging at:
Using My Words
Julie Pippert REVIEWS: Get a real opinion about BOOKS, MUSIC and MORE
Julie Pippert RECOMMENDS: A real opinion about HELPFUL and TIME-SAVING products
Moms Speak Up: Talking about the environment, dangerous imports, health care, food safety, media and marketing, education, politics and many other hot topics of concern.

27 comments:

Gwen said...

Congrats on your awards and nominations! And you still manage to find time for the little people ..... ;)

Rachel said...

Congratulations on your awards and noms! THose were fun reads. I have no idea which is the lie, but damn you've had some fun haven't you.
Ummm... what is the Blog pledge class for November? Just curious. Love your blog!

slouching mom said...

i think that either four or one is the lie -- i can't decide, but i'll go with four.

Julie Pippert said...

Gwen, I am the little people LOL. Just call me Julie "Che" Pippert. ;)

Rachel, I have had fun. B is for bold wasn't a joke. ;)

The blogging pledge class for November is a list of blogs that are either (a) newer blogs looking to introduce themselves or (b) blogs that are new to me (me = anyone who want to suggest it, not me particularly) and worth noting. It's totally open. You can send yourself in, another blog in, or both.

SM is in for 4.

I can say nothing more because I want to provide equal and ample opportunity.

But I appreciate completely that you believe I have pitch perfection and could win a music competition. :)

Lori at Spinning Yellow said...

Love the twist, you are sooo clever. I am not a good liar and consequently cannot spot a lie very well. I'll go with number 1, I guess (you said it would be easy, sheez).

Emily R said...

I'm guessing number 4 is untrue.

Hump day -- how about making new friends and keeping the old? Or, how about something we need to learn again and again?

Congrats on the accolades!

liv said...

I'd love you to include my friend and student, Jodi at slowpanic.blogspot.com

She rocks, so show her some love.

Kyla said...

I'm gonna say 1 is false. When is the reveal? LOL!

Aliki2006 said...

Congrats on the awards!

I'm going to say #6--not because I'm trying to imply something with that guess, but just to be different!

Julie Pippert said...

You people are so doubting of my celebrity experiences and so trusting of my personal ones.

Lori, LOL, I meant for it to be a little easy due to quick elimination of three from the list because they are stories I've told in the past.

Kyla, I'll do the reveal tonight, ACK! I nearly committed to a time but then recalled I have a 7:30 zoning meeting. RATS!

And can't be this afternoon because of Daisies.

Okay ummm I'll do it by 10 p.m. ISH (I hope) Central. I'll do it before I go to bed for sure.

Emily, like it!

Liv, noted!

Jeff said...

I thought you said that 7 things meme was going to be easy...

That being said, I'll pick number 5 because I don't believe you would ever quit anything.

Wayfarer Scientista said...

ummm...what is a blog pledge class?

Yolanda said...

I say #2 is the fake, because it's the only one that lacks specific detail. The band isn't named, nor the song, which is different from all of the others.

melissa said...

Gotta be #4.

And see, I made it over here today! Just in time to see that I'd been tagged. D'oh! More things on my list to do...

And it's nice to see they still sing that song in Daisies/Browines.

Lisa said...

Am dying to know which one is an untruth. But it sounds like you've got alot of great stories to tell.

Oh and I don't remember when I started reading you or when you first "heard" of me. But I'd love to be included in the linky stuff if possible. If not, that's totally ok too. :-)

Maddy said...

My you are productive! I have a little idea of hump day, not very cerebral though I'm afraid.

How about personal pet peeves, we all have them, but I like the unique ones. Ones that other people don't share and most importantly, the why?
Cheers

Professor J said...

Thanks for the tag, Julie. Would you include me in your list? I'm still feeling new.

For some reason, I doubt that you have perfect pitch. If I am wrong please forgive me and sing me a little song.

Christine said...

7. 7 is the lie. right? either way you have met LOTS of rockers!

and thanks for the tag and award--i have some meme catch p to do next week.

and that list--lovely, you.

Julie Pippert said...

Okay now while I have a few minutes (because the kids are happily playing outside with The Gang and I am between events)...

1. TRUE: I met Stevie Ray Vaughn, Charlie Sexton and Jimmie Vaughn in a bar once. It was after they'd played a local gig, and we shot some pool and then they took out guitars and sang a couple of songs.

2. TRUE: I was That Girl who leapt up on stage with a band once, overcome by my adoration of their music. The kindly lead singer took pity on my blatant fanhood and let me stay up there with him and sing a song. (I OMMITTED THE BAND AND SONG NAME BECAUSE I MENTIONED THIS ONLY MONDAY. IT WAS CROWDED HOUSE AND FALL AT YOUR FEET.)

3. FALSE: I chatted with Sarah MacLachlan over margaritas after a small venue performance early on in her career. I'd never heard of her before that performance (although my date had) and I was very taken by her singing ability. She graciously received my accolade and tolerated my questions about her inspiration. (I DID GO SEE HER EARLY ON IN A VERY SMALL VENUE, I DID DRINK A MARGARITA WHILE SHE SANG AND I WAS VERY IMPRESSED BUT SHE WHISKED AWAY AND DID NOT HANG WITH THE CROWD. I GOT THE IMPRESSION SHE WAS SHY. IN MY MIND MY DATE IS MY HUSBAND BUT THIS IS NO GUARANTEE IT WAS HIM. MORE THAN ONCE I'VE SAID, "HEY HON REMEMBER THE TIME WE WENT TO SUCH AND SO AND DID THIS AND THAT?" AND HE SAYS, SOMEWHAT GRUMPILY, "THAT WAS YOUR OTHER BOYFRIEND.")

4. TRUE: I sat in on a recording session by Garth Brooks. I also "sat in on" his rehearsal before a sold out concert. In that case it meant outside the room; he's got stage fright and is nervous so rehearsals are closed to other people. (A LITTLE KNOWN FACT ABOUT ME IS THAT I ONCE WORKED FOR A TELEVISION AND MUSIC PRODUCTION COMPANY. I WORKED ON THE TELEVISION SIDE BUT GOT SOME MUSIC PERKS TOO. I DID NOT PERSONALLY FIND GARTH BROOKS MUCH OF A PERK BUT HE WAS HOT SHIT THEN SO I TOOK THE OPPORTUNITY. I TOLD HIM HE SOUNDED GREAT, WHICH HE DID, FOR HIS STYLE, WHICH WAS NOT MY STYLE. BUT I LEFT OFF THE LAST HALF OF THAT AND STOPPED AFTER GREAT. MY JOB WAS IN MARKETING---NOT AS A MARKETING GEEK BUT AS THE GEEK BEHIND THE MARKETERS (I PHOTOSHOPPED THE FAMOUS PEOPLE AND WROTE AND ORGANIZED AND FORGED LETTERS TO FANS) BUT IT WAS QUICKLY FIGURED OUT THAT I HAD MORE SKILL AT SCRIPTS SO I GOT TO WORK ON A FEW OF THOSE. IT WAS A WICKED COOL JOB.)

5. TRUE: My best friend from elementary school and I reunited later to perform a rousing duet on piano and viola of "Brian's Song" that moved one judge to tears and won us the top competitor's honor for that year. Having achieved that pinnacle, I quit music entirely. (AND I AM HUMILIATED AND SAD TO ADMIT THIS, ESPECIALLY AFTER JEFF'S ENDORSEMENT. HE UNDERESTIMATES THE FRAGILITY OF THE EARLY TEEN GIRL WHO JUST OVERHEARD SOME MEAN GIRLS BEING QUITE NASTY ABOUT HER MUSIC.)

6. TRUE: Both my husband and I have near perfect pitch hearing, which has been passed to our children, who were able to distinguish notes and tunes from a very early age. However, they also both inherited our completely off-pitch voices, which is sad considering that they also inherited composition ability from both gene pools, too.

7. TRUE: My first concert was to Bruce Springsteen and was involuntary. My dad won tickets and sent me and my sister alone. We were both so young he had to drive us, drop us, and pick us up. We were not the same girls he dropped off when he picked us up. We returned knowing a lot about marijuana, sex, the state of Bruce's marriage (at the time), and we never said a word about any of it to either parent.

I am so amazed that you all gave me the Sarah MacLachlan story. It's probably not fair because that is SO something I'd do. I'd totally snag a celebrity, buy her a drink and grill her.

So I'm sorry to have been such a good misleader.

Good guesses and excellent logic though!

Julie

Becky said...

You met SRV? I am SO jealous.

Queen of the Mayhem said...

It is so weird that you mention Charlie Sexton....when I was an exchange student in Japan, I went to one of his concerts....he was a demi-god over there...and I had never heard of him before...OR SINCE! :)

Great post...ELOQUENT is an understatement for you! :)

Kyla said...

Sarah Maclachlan just seems like the kind of person you could sit and chat with, I think. That's what made it believable.

And Josh does the same thing to me, except I am the one saying "Nope. OTHER girlfriend. Thanks hon.' He says, "Kyla, you're just so special I've superimposed your face on all my other memories, you should feel LUCKY I get you confused." He's clever. LOL.

flutter said...

lawsy mercy you've had a life.

Lawyer Mama said...

I've already voted for you! If I can figure out how to do it again, I will.

And holy CRAP! Six true things????? Damn, babe. The closest I've come to fame was meeting Dr. Ruth in a Holiday Inn in Trinidad. Ah, the jokes we made. "I'm not a sex therapist, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express with Dr. Ruth last night."

Well, I know you have perfect pitch. And #7 totally fits with what you've said in the past about parents not knowing some of our most pivotal moments. Damn! This is hard! Didn't you say you were going to make it relatively easy????

I'm going to guess that #1 is a lie.

painted maypole said...

love all the music stories. the only remotely cool music story (you know, besides opera related) I have is when I was an extra for Almost Famous and Peter Frampton came out and played for us.

OH. and the guy who directed a commercial I was in used to play Bass for RATT

random actor stories I have up the wazoo

Rachel said...

Awesome!
Thanks for the explanation.

Magpie said...

You are cool.