Skip to main content

I hate candy



Not really. I love candy. Too much.

So do my kids.

The scene this morning involved two small children who managed to regain control of their loot and booty from last night's Halloween extravaganza. As we walked back home from "tick or teet" desperate women shoved more candy at us, "You must take it all, I can't have ANY left."

Trust me...them eating the remaining candy is far less detrimental than my kids having access to two more laffy taffy bars and six more lollipops.

But who is going to be the big bad wolf and say that out loud, where at least six shocked eyes would have bored me down into the ground where a party buzz kill like me belongs. Not me. I demurred, they insisted, and I caved, mainly because my dogs were barking from all the walking (and carrying of small children who got tired legs but wouldn't ride int he stroller) and my head was ringing from all the screams.

So home we came with two large bag fulls of candy, the exact equivalent of candy, as it happens, that I emptied out last night.

Or rather, that emptied out itself.

Yes, I am the lady who sets her trick or treat bucket full of candy on her front stoop and LEAVES. I trust in the honor of my fellow trick-or-treating candy-eater.

Hey, I want to walk my kids around and go to my friends' cul-de-sac party. So we did. And we all had a blast.

Until this morning, when the kids, as I mentioned, regained control of the booty.

My first mistake was taking a shower and leaving my husband and kids to their own devices. I got out of the shower, and was surprised to see my husband standing at the sink styling his hair.

"Where are the kids?" I asked, first thing. Not good morning. No sweet kisses. No affection. No pleasantries. Just a demand.

"They're downstairs," he told me.

I listened for the sound of glass breaking, windows shattering, doors banging...but it was silent.

I quirked my brow quizzically (not really, but my facial expression was the equivalent).

He shrugged.

"What are they..." I started to ask, then heard wild giggles and laughter.

Although this should warm the cockles of my mother's heart---isn't that the Hallmark version of parenting? Loving the laughs and pitter patter of little feet?---instead it sends frissons of fear up and down my spine.

"They found the candy," my husband said, smiling, "That's why they are so quiet and happy."

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??????

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!

You LET them get CANDY and LEFT THEM ALONE WITH IT?!?!?!?!

Honey, I love you but I'm revoking your parenting license, and resubmitting you to Parenting Ed. You're back to a Learner's Permit and must parent with another licensed grown-up at all times.

I ran downstairs.

They had dumped all the candy out in the OFFICE of all places. The carpet was littered with nerds, licked lollipops, opened taffy with one bite gone, chocolate bars half eaten and dropped and on and on...all stuck to and staining the carpet.

Good morning Vietnam.

I figured FEMA would be no help to me whatsoever, since they have never been any help to me whatsoever (aside from little love notes during floods, famines, and natural disasters reminding me that they exist and are here to NOT help me) so I knew the cleanup was all mine.

My husband trailed me down the stairs and surveyed the mess, "Wow, what a disaster zone," he said, helpfully. "Well, ladies, I have to go to work, bye!"

We spent---and I'm not kidding---forty-five minutes cleaning up that candy mess, dealing with children's tantrums as I snatched candy out of their hands and cleaned their messy little faces, scrubbing the carpet in between.

Then I dealt with hyper candy-high children (who must bear a remarkable resemblance to meth addicts) all morning, as we attempted to get ready for school.

My sister called and heard Banshee Deux, flying and shrieking around the kitchen in crazed, maniacal circles. The animals hid. I was trying to make lunches and settle the kids down to a real breakfast. Something with no sugar and lots, and lots of protein.

My sister said, "OMG, your two are the equivalent of my four, although, maybe just the little one...we are SO never trading kids."

In our defense, they were high on sugar. Which I realize is no defense whatsoever.

But I knew I had better start practicing my story and apologies for the teachers.

Using my superhuman mommy strength I somehow managed to get two demented children dressed, washed, brushed and loaded into the car, including getting Banshee Un's homework finished (which she did remarkably well...maybe a little mania is good for her sometimes, sure seems to motivate her).

And as we drove...they crashed. Oh yes, the pain of the fall after the high.

"Mom, my tummy feels...funny, I feel funny," Patience whined.

The little one had nothing to say, except snores. She was sawing some serious lumber in the backseat. California redwoods at a guess. Patience was sawing something else. Cheese if you must know.

"Have you decided about the candy?" I asked Patience, hanging my head out the window like a dog. "What you want to do?"

"Yes," she said, "You can have it all. I'll trade it all for a toy." She groaned, "No more candy."

Good child.

We arrived at school and proceeded to unload. Patience was nearing normal, and I was sure leaving the windows down would help de-fumigate the car back to normal too. Persistence was out. Still.

She slept all the way into the school. She slept through the chaos and noise. She slept through dropping off her sister, and a chat with her sister's teacher. She slept through me arriving at her classroom and talking to three other moms. She slept through walking into her class. She slept through me setting her down in her class. She slept through other children walking up to poke her, call her name, and pull on her, curiously.

The teacher told me, regretfully, "I'm sorry but we can't accept a sleeping child."

I looked at my watch 20-25 minutes out. Power nap. She'd be fine, so I woke her. The teacher took her, and they sat to read books, so I escaped.

There must be a candy-a-holic gene.

I have to protect them. I say lovingly and not at all selfishly.

The candy...it is gone. I say happily, and relivedly.

By Julie Pippert
Artful Media Group
Museum Quality Digital Art and Photography
Limited Edition Prints
Artful by Nature Fine Art and Photography Galleries

© 2006. All images and text exclusive property of Julie Pippert. Not to be used or reproduced.

Technorati Tags: , ,

Comments

Anonymous said…
He gave them unrestrained access to the candy. Wow. But maybe it's a kind of inoculation? All for the best, right?

Popular posts from this blog

In defense of vanity...I think

Do you have one of those issues where you argue with yourself? Where you just aren't sure what you actually think because there are so many messages and opinions on the topic around you? I have more than one like this. However, there is one topic that has been struggling to the top of my mind recently: vanity and perceived vanity. Can vanity be a good thing? Vanity has historically been truly reviled. Vanity is number seven of the Seven Deadly Sins. It's the doppleganger of number seven on the Seven Holy Virtues list: humility. There are many moralistic tales of how vanity makes you evil and brings about a spectacular downfall. Consider the lady who bathed in the blood of virgins to maintain her youth. Google Borgia+vanity and find plenty. The Brothers Grimm and Disney got in on the act too. The Disney message seems to be: the truly beautiful don't need to be vain. They are just naturally eye-catchingly gorgeous. And they are all gorgeous. Show me the Reubenesque Princess.

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Quorum

After being confronted with written evidence, Julie admits that she is a total attention whore. In some things, in some ways, sometimes I look outward for validation of my worth and existence. I admit it. It's my weak spot, my vanity spot . If you say I am clever, comment on a post, offer me an award, mention me on your blog, reply to a comment I left on your blog, or in any way flatter me as a writer...I am hopelessly, slavishly devoted to you. I will probably even add you to my blogroll just so everyone can see the list of all the cool kids who actually like me . The girl, she knows she is vain in this regard , but after much vanity discussion and navel-gazing , she has decided to love herself anyway, as she is (ironically) and will keep searching for (1) internal validation and (2) her first person . Until I reach a better point of self-actualization, though, may I just say that this week you people have been better than prozac and chocolate (together, with a side of white choc

Cancer's Calling Card

Foreword: I'm not a medical person, or any kind of expert. This post shouldn't be taken as God's word carved in stone by Moses. In other words, don't consider it to be any kind of authority or use it to treat, diagnose, or select medications. Do your own research and talk to your doctor, an actual expert, who, you know, went to medical school and stuff. This post is merely my best understanding of cancer and cancer treatment and prevention, as related to our situation, based on what I've learned from reading and talking to doctors. Author's Note: If you aren't interested in the cancer discussion and the things I learned, and only want to know the outcome of our appointment with the oncologist yesterday, skip to the end. I've divvied this up by sections, so go to the last section. What would you do if one day a postcard arrived in the mail to warn you that sometime in the next three years you would be diagnosed with cancer? Would you believe it? Change an