Skip to main content

Photo essay: The View from the Center of My Known Universe

Adding in Friday 1/26/2007 check-in:


That's almost a three pound loss from last go round. Thanks, Lotta, for hosting this great check-in and weight loss support!

Girl Con Queso tagged all unsuspecting visitors to her site with the "What's it look like out your front door?" meme-thingie going around.

Because today is finally a beautiful sunny day after (I think) 40 days and 40 nights of dreary rain, I finally felt motivated to whip out the camera and quickly snap off a few shots out my door. They are what I like to call rushed raw honest shots (read: I used PHD mode). I added in some other gratuitous shots to put the door shots in context.



Literally, out the front door in the last hour. What you don't see: that my little lighted Christmas trees are shockingly still on display out front. What you do see that I feel sort of apologetic about: the big yard mess. In defense, we've had dreadful weather and storms and always have a lot of debris to clear after that, plus who wants to mow, weed, and so forth in the cold rain.


The park and bayou down the street. The bayou flows to the lake that flows to the bay that flows to the ocean...and it's all so close together you can see pretty much the first three all at once. The north wind clears out the water. Yes, it's that green here year round. This close to the warm ocean water we are very temperate, often ~5 degrees warmer than even just 10 miles further inland. The average winter temp: ~68 degrees F. Average summer temp: 68 million degrees F.


Dragon boat races on the bayou. Isn't the smog gorgeous? Obviously a large percentage of people here are boaters of some sort, with a huge group of rowers (out there every day). Everyone must be very good and not capsize. Just north of our neighborhood (adjacent to us actually) is a large nature preserve. That have alligators. Or crocodiles. Or whichever of those water reptiles I mean, among other fauna. The alligators do not make good neighbors because they do not respect property boundaries. One has even gotten really lost and was seen cruising the waterfront road here. I know nothing of this because I invest heavily in Plausible Deniability, which is to say, if I keep denying reptiles exist it becomes plausible that for me, they do not exist.


Down on the boardwalk.


A gorgeous waterfront park in our town that has awesome hiking trails and great places to picnic.


Note: Apologies if you came here looking for space photos. I do have a Space Cowboy post in the pipeline but haven't managed to polish it up to post-ready.

copyright 2007 Julie Pippert.

Comments

Girlplustwo said…
i love the view from your door. and the fact you are near the water.

i'd so love that.
Mad said…
Did I mention that it's -20 here?

Lovely photos.
sillychick said…
I think your weight loss is incredible! What an inspiration you are to me.

Thank you, too, for leaving me such nice comments.
Julie Pippert said…
Jen, being near to the water is a criteria for us. It can add to cost of living but we think it's worth it. :)

Mad Hatter, so...does looking at photos of Perpetual Summerland help? or hurt?

Sillychick, thanks, I'm awed too..first that I got up this much and second that I am sticking to the plan and losing it! You're welcome...I plan to try to visit later on today to check in!
Syd said…
Looks great!! We have 10 degree weather here today and it snowed all morning. My daughter is in heaven!! I don't have a car, so it really doesn't matter to me today!! :) Way to go on the weight!! For some reason I thought you were in Chicago. I guess not!! (did you move there after Boston?) Gotta run, making cupcakes for a birthday party tomorrow. Oh, and I was horrified when I read about the dog park incident. I don't have a dog, but I am SURE I would be mortified if my dog did that to a little girl and would have apologized, and then most likely left. What a kook!! People! Have a great weekend!!
Congratulations on the weight loss! I thought the view was lovely from your door.
Paige said…
Beautiful view!

Congrats on the weight loss!
Mom O Matic said…
Wow! Amazing.

You are so close to your goal. I would be lying if I didn't say I was a wee bit jealous. But I'll flip that around and just be damn proud! Pretty soon you will become an honorary MILF mentor like Oh The Joys!
Mom O Matic said…
PS - The MILF group is bigger than I ever dreamed. How awesome is it that so many of us are taking care and boosting each other up! Love it!
Anonymous said…
Julie - great progress! I can't wait to read more. And beautiful photos, too.
3 things!

I want to live outside your front door! It's beautiful there!

Awesome scale thing. How can I get one for my blog...or should I even bother since it wouldn't move.

And thanks for leaving a comment on my blog!!! I love it when new people stop in and say hi!

I still want to live where you live.
thailandchani said…
Your neighborhood looks very, very nice! Pretty lake... pretty house. I have no idea where you live but it's certainly a pretty part of the world.

I blogrolled you as well. I enjoy your blog tremendously. Thank you for writing this for us. :)


Peace,

~Chani
Her Bad Mother said…
Holy heck. HOLY HECK. It's FREEZING here.

So lovely, out your front door.
Julie Pippert said…
Syd, Chicago? Hmmm. I partied there in 1999 but otherwise...oh wait...it might have been my sister was maybe going there and we sort of wished...

Hope the party went well and 10 degrees, bundle up!

Queen, Paige, Jakeelliesmom, thanksX2, thanksX2 and thanksX2!

Lotta, AMEN! You know, for budgetary reasons I had to drop my WW monthly pass. I'd be really bummed and worried except I know I can count on the MILFs. That goal is merely Goal 1. The gal I felt I could make versus the one I think I should make, so I might be rolling out Goal 2 as soon as I reach Goal 1. I've also been at this for a while, although I totally understand!

Girl, go to www.tickerfactory.com and get a weight loss one. Easy as pie, or actually, having made pie, easier. You are welcome and thanks to you!

Chani, thanks, thanks and you are welcome, back at you!

HBM, want I should send some warm your way? ;) Thanks!
yerdoingitwrong said…
Great job on the 3 lbs! And those pics are gorgeous. You live in a pretty area!
Mitch McDad said…
Pretty pictures. I have inlaws that live on the bayou in Houston, but this looks nicer. Where is it?

Popular posts from this blog

In defense of vanity...I think

Do you have one of those issues where you argue with yourself? Where you just aren't sure what you actually think because there are so many messages and opinions on the topic around you? I have more than one like this. However, there is one topic that has been struggling to the top of my mind recently: vanity and perceived vanity. Can vanity be a good thing? Vanity has historically been truly reviled. Vanity is number seven of the Seven Deadly Sins. It's the doppleganger of number seven on the Seven Holy Virtues list: humility. There are many moralistic tales of how vanity makes you evil and brings about a spectacular downfall. Consider the lady who bathed in the blood of virgins to maintain her youth. Google Borgia+vanity and find plenty. The Brothers Grimm and Disney got in on the act too. The Disney message seems to be: the truly beautiful don't need to be vain. They are just naturally eye-catchingly gorgeous. And they are all gorgeous. Show me the Reubenesque Princess.

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Quorum

After being confronted with written evidence, Julie admits that she is a total attention whore. In some things, in some ways, sometimes I look outward for validation of my worth and existence. I admit it. It's my weak spot, my vanity spot . If you say I am clever, comment on a post, offer me an award, mention me on your blog, reply to a comment I left on your blog, or in any way flatter me as a writer...I am hopelessly, slavishly devoted to you. I will probably even add you to my blogroll just so everyone can see the list of all the cool kids who actually like me . The girl, she knows she is vain in this regard , but after much vanity discussion and navel-gazing , she has decided to love herself anyway, as she is (ironically) and will keep searching for (1) internal validation and (2) her first person . Until I reach a better point of self-actualization, though, may I just say that this week you people have been better than prozac and chocolate (together, with a side of white choc

Cancer's Calling Card

Foreword: I'm not a medical person, or any kind of expert. This post shouldn't be taken as God's word carved in stone by Moses. In other words, don't consider it to be any kind of authority or use it to treat, diagnose, or select medications. Do your own research and talk to your doctor, an actual expert, who, you know, went to medical school and stuff. This post is merely my best understanding of cancer and cancer treatment and prevention, as related to our situation, based on what I've learned from reading and talking to doctors. Author's Note: If you aren't interested in the cancer discussion and the things I learned, and only want to know the outcome of our appointment with the oncologist yesterday, skip to the end. I've divvied this up by sections, so go to the last section. What would you do if one day a postcard arrived in the mail to warn you that sometime in the next three years you would be diagnosed with cancer? Would you believe it? Change an