Skip to main content

Cindy Sheehan says goodbye; Republicans, Democrats and more say good riddance

From what I read in a variety of places that support a plethora of different points of view, Cindy Sheehan's 1200-word letter, "Good Riddance Attention Whore," brought a general reaction of, "And don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out."

When Sheehan first caught my---and everyone else's---attention by camping outside Bush's Crawford, Texas ranch, I believe a lot of us didn't know what to think.

I did think Bush looked churlish by not agreeing to meet with her.

Five minutes. Why was that too much to ask? Five minutes for the grieving mother whose son died for this country.

I realize that approximately 3500 families are grieving for the same reason. (If you want to see numbers, go here.)

I realize that if Bush gave five minutes to every grieving family that would mean he'd spend 17,500 minutes (almost 300 hours, probably about 8 straight weeks) offering his condolences and appreciation. (Assuming there were no additional casualties, which is, sadly, unlikely.)

I understand the President has other obligations and responsibilities.

I grasp how easy it is to sit to the side and say people knew what they were getting into, a general message has to suffice, things aren't fair.

But I also can easily comprehend how Sheehan felt and why she did what she did. When something devastating happens to me, it is unlike anything else that has ever happened to anyone else because this time, it is my tragedy. And it feels different. We handle grief differently, and sometimes it spurs people to do extraordinary things...such as camp outside the second white house.

I can comprehend what she did, camping outside that ranch. I can understand her wanting to draw attention to this, to do something worthwhile in her mind, in her son's name---make his death matter, make it bring about some good, such as keep another mother from going through what she was. I have a lot of sympathy, actually.

It could be because I am a mother.

It could be because I, too, have grieved.

It could be because my father was in the military, in the Vietnam era. He was an officer, and as such, he and my mother (and subsequently me, I suppose) were afforded a degree of "cushiness" lower ranking and enlisted families were not. My mother recently talked to me about life as a military wife outside Washington, D.C. (where we lived at the time). Our conversation probably happened because I mentioned how one friend just came home, and another friend's husband just had his tour of duty extended, again. I think the current war brings about some Vietnam flashbacks for a lot of people.

It could be that I remember when my father and his buddies got together, there was sometimes a moment when they paused and remembered the friends who weren't there.

It could be because I have known a lot of people who came home from war, but were never the same, or left a good bit of themselves behind.

The bottom line is, I understood. And I thought the President ought to have given her five minutes, even if it meant life was unfair because 3,499 other families didn't get equal opportunity.

When she morphed---voluntarily and involuntarily---from individual, grieving mother into a tool, a spokesperson, an event, I got a sinking feeling. Figureheads very easily and very often end up guys, especially in the middle of very controversial and emotional issues, such as this one.

And so it came to pass, here, too.

Ms. Sheehan's letter is simply disillusioned and disheartened. It is the letter of a guy. She begins by saying:

I have come to some heartbreaking conclusions this Memorial Day Morning. These are not spur of the moment reflections, but things I have been meditating on for about a year now. The conclusions that I have slowly and very reluctantly come to are very heartbreaking to me.


She goes on to explain how frustrating it was to have this become a two-party political message, when a plea for peace ought to transcend politics:

The first conclusion is that I was the darling of the so-called left as long as I limited my protests to George Bush and the Republican Party. Of course, I was slandered and libeled by the right as a "tool" of the Democratic Party. This label was to marginalize me and my message. How could a woman have an original thought, or be working outside of our "two-party" system?

However, when I started to hold the Democratic Party to the same standards that I held the Republican Party, support for my cause started to erode and the "left" started labeling me with the same slurs that the right used. I guess no one paid attention to me when I said that the issue of peace and people dying for no reason is not a matter of "right or left", but "right and wrong."


She warns of the inherent danger in ardent allegiance to two political parties, and the even greater danger of adhering to labels for everything and everyone:

Blind party loyalty is dangerous whatever side it occurs on. People of the world look on us Americans as jokes because we allow our political leaders so much murderous latitude and if we don’t find alternatives to this corrupt "two" party system our Representative Republic will die and be replaced with what we are rapidly descending into with nary a check or balance: a fascist corporate wasteland. I am demonized because I don’t see party affiliation or nationality when I look at a person, I see that person’s heart. If someone looks, dresses, acts, talks and votes like a Republican, then why do they deserve support just because he/she calls him/herself a Democrat?


And most sadly of all, she tells of what this has cost her personally:

I have spent every available cent I got from the money a "grateful" country gave me when they killed my son and every penny that I have received in speaking or book fees since then. I have sacrificed a 29 year marriage and have traveled for extended periods of time away from Casey’s brother and sisters and my health has suffered and my hospital bills from last summer (when I almost died) are in collection because I have used all my energy trying to stop this country from slaughtering innocent human beings. I have been called every despicable name that small minds can think of and have had my life threatened many times.

The most devastating conclusion that I reached this morning, however, was that Casey did indeed die for nothing. His precious lifeblood drained out in a country far away from his family who loves him, killed by his own country which is beholden to and run by a war machine that even controls what we think. I have tried ever since he died to make his sacrifice meaningful.


Ms. Sheehan did something extraordinary. She did what she believed in. She tried to turn a personally bad event into something good. I can respect that.

I can also respect her point that when someone really believes in something, they do more than walk in a protest march or sit behind a computer and espouse opinion.

It might not be much, but I can certainly send letters to active military people through a group that sends support, can probably find a nice blanket or quilt for an injured serviceman, and can definitely send coupons for the families. Laugh as you might, but I sent a George Foreman grill. Listen, you never know what you have that someone else needs. (There are a lot of good groups to do this through, if you are interested.)

I know for many, many people Memorial Day isn't one day, but is every day.

I think Ms. Sheehan is one of those. I continue to have sympathy and respect, and am sorry that all she has done has not brought her any personal peace, but has only brought more grief. She started an organization, Gold Star Families for Peace, that admittedly will no longer be working for peace. However, they will continue their humanitarian mission. She may not feel it now, but I don't think her effort was wasted in the broader scheme. She may never feel it---the position of figurehead is a tough one.

Goodbye, Cindy. You've fought your own battle, now. You got people thinking about the war, and its cost to individuals. You got people (not just politicians) talking about this war and what they think. You're wounded, but not a casualty. I appreciate your service and sacrifices as you fought for what you believed in.

It's irrelevent whether one agrees or disagrees with her. She stood up. She spoke out loud. She pursued her beliefs, actively. As an individual (at least initially). It's a great example. That's American. That's what her son---and the other men and women---are fighting to preserve, among other things.

She deserves respect, not good riddance and a door slam.

copyright 2007 Julie Pippert

Comments

Christine said…
Oh, Julie. This brought tears to my eyes this morning. I have always had a great respect and admiration for Cindy Sheehan. All of this--her work, this war, the fighting soldiers, the death--has simply overwhelmed and depressed me. To see this strong, brave mother stand up and demand to listened to, to be seen; now that is bravery. Thanks for this today. I think sometimes we forget what is going on in the wide world while we work, play and love.
S said…
People were inclined to vilify her on grounds that she was melodramatic in her means of getting people to pay attention.

I ask: how else but by resorting to melodrama can one get higher-ups in this country to listen?

I'd also suggest that having lost her son in the way she did gives her the right to be dramatic.
Sparky Duck said…
as slouching mom said, she had every right to be melodramtic or drama filled, because to her this was a drama. She did her job, if for no other reason then making the president appear like toddler and not enjoy his 87th vacation last year.
Julie Pippert said…
Christine, I'm glad I managed to get out the point I wanted to...it moves me too.

***

SM and Sparky, you know...that drama point always eluded me. Her SON DIED, horribly and tragically.

I send my husband out on the highway every morning, knowing the risks. It wouldn't make a lick of difference, that, were something (God forbid) to happen.

So I agree with you. :)

Also, SM, good point: I agree, the ordinary is overlooked, ignored. One does have to be extraordinary and dramatic to get attention. It's just a lot of people saying a lot of things so you have to.
Aliki2006 said…
I felt very tearful for her as well--she deserves so much more, so many do. I'm so glad you wrote this post.
Kyla said…
From what I've read, there was no "drama". If one of my children died, and I wanted someone to listen, I would have done no less. I think she is right in that blind party allegiance is a problem in our country. We need to have individual minds, that make decisions on each individual issue, not a blind party vote. I hope one day she sees something good come from her effort and that in some small way it will help her heal.
Mad said…
Jaysus, it is too easy to critique the pain of others, isn't it. Did you see the fascinating documentary (damn, I forget it's name) about the rise of the military indrurial complex in America: the one with the New York man who lost his son in 9-11 and petitioned sucessfully to have his son's name painted on a missle to be used in Iraq? His regret as his knowledge of the situation broadened is one of the most moving things I have ever seen.
Girlplustwo said…
oh, i absolutely agree. julie, this is lovely and i am so happy you wrote this.

i know she'll be looked upon in the future as a revolutionary of our time. she stood up. she said that this isn't ok. and she put her life where her mouth was.

a hell of a lot more than most.
Julie Pippert said…
Aliki, thanks. I agree. :)

**

Kyla, I wish the same. Her heartbreak is so apparent. And I agree. We need to remain individuals. Sometimes I think it is simply easier for too many to blindly ally themselves.

**

Mad, I agree. Throughout this she has remained such a potent individual, despite the "figureheading." What astonishes me is that nevertheless, so many people miss this completely, and have utterly dehumanized her, thus opening the door wide for cruelty.

I haven't seen that but will keep my eyes open for it.

**

Jen, thanks. I think she'll be looked at that way too. Time allows the extreme edges (usually) to fall off and leaves us with not an unbiased, but hopefulyl a slightly more reasonable perspective.
Gina Pintar said…
I am sorry Cindy Sheehan thinks her son died for nothing. I don't think that. I appreciate what they are doing for us. I am going to go out today with a high expectation that I will not be shot at or blown up. I think her son protected that expectation.

I also don't think she was too dramatic. I think she was MADE into something that was too dramatic.
Magpie said…
Thank you for writing this - I think you get the point across really well.
Lawyer Mama said…
Lovely post, Julie. I think that many people didn't want to listen to Ms. Sheehan after awhile because pain and grief makes us uncomfortable. We seem to have this attitude that someone is allowed their "5 minutes" of drama and grief and then they have to suck it up and move on. But she never will. And I don't think anyone can after losing a child.

I greatly admire her for standing up for what she believed. I'd like to think that I would do no less if something happened to my husband or my brother, but I don't know that I could be as brave as she was.

Popular posts from this blog

In defense of vanity...I think

Do you have one of those issues where you argue with yourself? Where you just aren't sure what you actually think because there are so many messages and opinions on the topic around you? I have more than one like this. However, there is one topic that has been struggling to the top of my mind recently: vanity and perceived vanity. Can vanity be a good thing? Vanity has historically been truly reviled. Vanity is number seven of the Seven Deadly Sins. It's the doppleganger of number seven on the Seven Holy Virtues list: humility. There are many moralistic tales of how vanity makes you evil and brings about a spectacular downfall. Consider the lady who bathed in the blood of virgins to maintain her youth. Google Borgia+vanity and find plenty. The Brothers Grimm and Disney got in on the act too. The Disney message seems to be: the truly beautiful don't need to be vain. They are just naturally eye-catchingly gorgeous. And they are all gorgeous. Show me the Reubenesque Princess.

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Quorum

After being confronted with written evidence, Julie admits that she is a total attention whore. In some things, in some ways, sometimes I look outward for validation of my worth and existence. I admit it. It's my weak spot, my vanity spot . If you say I am clever, comment on a post, offer me an award, mention me on your blog, reply to a comment I left on your blog, or in any way flatter me as a writer...I am hopelessly, slavishly devoted to you. I will probably even add you to my blogroll just so everyone can see the list of all the cool kids who actually like me . The girl, she knows she is vain in this regard , but after much vanity discussion and navel-gazing , she has decided to love herself anyway, as she is (ironically) and will keep searching for (1) internal validation and (2) her first person . Until I reach a better point of self-actualization, though, may I just say that this week you people have been better than prozac and chocolate (together, with a side of white choc

Cancer's Calling Card

Foreword: I'm not a medical person, or any kind of expert. This post shouldn't be taken as God's word carved in stone by Moses. In other words, don't consider it to be any kind of authority or use it to treat, diagnose, or select medications. Do your own research and talk to your doctor, an actual expert, who, you know, went to medical school and stuff. This post is merely my best understanding of cancer and cancer treatment and prevention, as related to our situation, based on what I've learned from reading and talking to doctors. Author's Note: If you aren't interested in the cancer discussion and the things I learned, and only want to know the outcome of our appointment with the oncologist yesterday, skip to the end. I've divvied this up by sections, so go to the last section. What would you do if one day a postcard arrived in the mail to warn you that sometime in the next three years you would be diagnosed with cancer? Would you believe it? Change an