I started the Holy Basil almost a month ago; I first mentioned it in my Old Gray Mare post.
I am currently using the SC Holy Basil by New Chapter. They offer two types:
1. SC Holy Basil™
Uplift, Calm, and Balance
Available in 60 and 120 hexane-free softgel capsules
* Supports normal cortisol, blood sugar, and insulin
metabolism already in normal ranges*
* Elevates spirit*
* Protects healthy cells from radiation damage*
2. Holy Basil
Available in 90 Vcap® (400 mg) size
* Reduces stress and cortisol*
* Promotes a healthy inflammation response*
* Increases physical and emotional endurance*
(I actually love the New Chapter products. The Host Defense and Every Woman's One Daily is good stuff, man.)
I didn't make an informed choice between the two. I got the one my health food store has, which was the SC version. I believe I still get points 2 and 3 that the regular Holy Basil has with the SC version.
So here I am taking Holy Basil, waiting for the enlightenment and positive benefits.
I was patient.
And I waited.
I told myself, give it time. Wait and see.
I'm not good at patience. I want immediate gratification.
But I went deep and found a small reserve, so I waited.
Last week I allowed myself back on the scale. SEVEN POUNDS!
After two years of nothing, I lost seven pounds! I know, I know, drop in the bucket. But it's a loss and it has motivated me. Only one pound this week, so far, but I've been a teensy naughty. It was all the parties last weekend and the getting Boo'd and so forth. But going down one pound instead of gaining is GREAT!
I am still doing the same diet (weight watchers) and same exercise (any kind I can any time I can) and have changed nothing else. I have merely added in the Holy Basil.
And here is what I have observed in the last month:
* Increased energy and improved mood. I feel "back to myself." I'm back to caring about my usual things and being more me. And my house is in better order.
* Improved focus.
* Weight loss.
* Feel more able, better cognitive reframing.
* No colon flares. I've cut the GI meds way back. One Pepcid a day, sometimes, rather than two every day. I only take one digestive enzyme a day, have also stopped the IBS medication. (The Pepcid is to control allergy inflammation as well as to help with GI response.)
I think this is more or less what the cool Zen words mean, just in more Western scientific terms.
Okay. Sign me up. I'm a believer.
That Sherri-Stringfield-look-alike is not nutters. I think cortisol REALLY affects weight loss.
Just getting me up to this better place has helped me get a better ball rolling and keep it rolling.
Holy Basil. Holy Cow.
By Julie Pippert
Artful Media Group
Museum Quality Digital Art and Photography
Limited Edition Prints
Artful by Nature Fine Art and Photography Galleries
© 2006. All images and text exclusive property of Julie Pippert. Not to be used or reproduced.
Technorati Tags: Holy Basil, New Chapter, weight loss, cortisol