Skip to main content

Epiphany, Four Wise Men and a Duck

When my husband and I got married, quite a while back actually (going on 14 years), we did that thing, finally, that everyone had nagged and nagged us to do: went to a store and registered for china, crystal, and other things of that ilk.

We were only in our mid-20s and honestly had never given any of that any thought. We didn't entertain like that, and neither did any of our friends. We perused all the shmaltzy shelves of stuff. It was our first foray, really, into the Breakable Zone. We were so young that we were afraid to pick up any of it, although the saleslady encouraged us to overcome our "look with eyes, not with hands" instincts our parents had hounded into us for our entire lives.

We spent days, seriously, sorting through patterns and brands. We wanted classic, yet interesting.

Eventually, finally, we settled on a pattern of china and crystal. We wrote it all down on the little form the store had.

Yes, back in those days there was no "quick gun" to zap a product number with. You used pen and paper, and some poor hapless clerk had to methodically enter it into the green-screened personal computer. Then some poor hapless sales person had to figure out how to load the continuous ream of paper into the humongous printer and spend about half an hour printing out your two page gift list.

It was not easy or convenient.

However, we had done it, and we had set expectations that people would gift us from that list. One might say we felt entitled. We had seen other weddings, and the gifts received, plus we had The Gift List. We were looking forward to the bounty.

After we returned from our honeymoon (St. Marc sur Richlieu, Hostellerie Trois Tilleuls, Quebec---really, go, it is fantastic. We went back at our 10 year anniversary and it was even better. They have a full-blown spa now.) we unpacked and then set about unwrapping gifts.

With tremendous disappointment.

One place setting of china, which, upon a little reflection, we decided we barely felt lukewarm about. Forty forks. Two sets of wine glasses for a total of 24, none of which matched or were our pattern. Something that appeared to be a crystal trash can. Five candy dishes. And other sundries, pretty much none of which were on our list.

But registries back then were hard to come by and use. Nobody could tell who had bought what, because in general, people just asked my mother what our pattern and brand was. Then they went any place and got it.

But that's not even the point.

I bet people thought about what they wish they had gotten when they married, or what they got and loved, or what would be good for us.

I think people bought from the heart, not from the list.

And to my everlasting regret, we missed that. Big time. For far too long, when we reflected back on our wedding gifts---which we called The Wedding of Forty Forks and liberally cracked jokes about and used as dining out humor for years---we felt a little gypped and a lot disappointed.

How dare we. The shame has me wanting to delete this entire blog post, and hide under a bush for ten years, during which time I am to receive Nothing At All Period as punishment for ingratitude.

As we matured, we began appreciating the things we received, and, believe it or not, the things we didn't receive. We matured enough to develop an understanding of our own taste and needs, and bought accordingly. Our actual china is very arty and hilarious. It's the Skating Chefs by Guy Buffet, and the name alone entertains our guests before they even see the fun and funky art.

I think somewhere in the midst of all this I developed a strong distaste for gifts lists, a distaste which has hardened into heady dislike since I have become a parent. I identify gift lists with entitlement and expectation, and feel sure that to some degree it leaves a giftee with a vague disappointment (however brief) and feeling of loss (however small and potentially unconscious) for the items not bought off the list.

Many people like lists. They like to know what to buy, how to give the perfect gift. They want you to tell the catalog, page and item number, or store, shelf and brand. They want to get you exactly what you expect.

This focus, in my opinion, is missing the point. In fact, this time of year I believe it derails the entire meaning of Christmas.

I acknowledge it comes from a good place, in general. I'm not opposed to ideas, suggestions, or guidance, when requested, although I heartily dislike being handed a gift list simply on principle of expectation that I will be buying something. No matter how well intended, however, I believe the desire for a specific gift list and anxiety over buying the exact thing off the list---achieving The Perfect Gift---can lead to a bad place: entitlement, expectation and ingratitude.

I noticed after my daughter spent ample time for the family circling items in multiple toy catalogs that her behavior and expectations hit a level of entitlement I wanted to squash like a cockroach.

“I’m going to get everything I want, aren’t I, mom?” she queried, honestly concerned, “I would be so sad if I don’t get the such and such or so and so…”

That very week we went down to the charity toy store and donated items, and helped to sort toys in preparation for the families to come and select the gifts they wanted. We talked about want versus need, and deserve versus privilege. We talked about gifts, and I told her about my favorite gifts.

“Which one did you like best, Mom?” she asked.

“The one that came from the heart,” I told her.

“Which one is that?” she asked.

“All of them,” I said.

“Moooooommmmmmmm,” she whined.

“Listen,” I said, “One time my friend gave me bubble bath and lotion. I was touched that she wanted me to pamper myself. One time your aunt gave me a lottery ticket, and I was touched she wanted me to hit the jackpot. Grandma and Grandpa gave Dad and me the gift of music one year.”

That year, my in-laws gave us a package of symphony performances called Repartee at the Boston Symphony. It included a cocktail hour, with short speech from an expert about that night's performance, plus, of course, the actual performance. We discovered new composers we liked, met new friends, and all around enjoyed a great time. What a gift that kept on giving. In fact, the best gifts I've ever gotten have frequently been things I never would have thought to ask for. They were things from someone else's world, that somehow related to me, and that enriched my life, with their thoughtfulness and added dimension to my world.

That’s when it hit me; I suddenly understood and could verbalize why I buy the gifts I do. I tend to buy books and music because I love books and music. I love being in book and music stores. I look through all the books I know and love, and think of the people I know and love. I gift them with what I value, and within that, what I think will appeal to them.

It’s not off a list, but it’s a gift from the heart.

And hopefully, then, valuable, anyway.

As my husband and I discussed this last night, the next level of meaning struck me.

How often in life do we feel angry, disappointed, hurt or bitter because what we expected isn’t what we got? How often in life do we create “life gift” lists, and then feel a huge letdown when we don’t get what we expect, or think we deserve?

Life throws curveballs, as do gift giving occasions.

I think the epiphany here is to find the value in what you get, not focus on what it was that you wanted. Therein lies appreciation, peace, and enjoyment.

Hopefully my family and I can grow into four wise men with an attitude of gratitude. Hopefully we grow wise enough to appreciate what we have.

In the end, all my daughter wants as a gift is love, same as the rest of us.

Still, I think I’ll make one more store run and get that pink duck sponge, since she has decided that’s all she’d really like.

Note: Since I'm using someone else's photos here, the photos link to that person's eBay store. Click if you want duckies.

If you want to do some good:



This is a series of raffles in order to raise money for Muscular Dystrophy Research. You pick which item(s) you want to win and we'll draw one winner at random for each item. The more tickets you buy (by sending a secure payment via paypal) the more chances you have to win. Place as many tickets as you wish to purchase on as many items (or just one or a few for a better chance at winning) as you'd like to win. It's in honor of Tanner, the precious nephew of Her Bad Mother.


By Julie Pippert
© 2006. All images and text exclusive property of Julie Pippert. Not to be used or reproduced. R.E.S.P.E.C.T that. Please. If you want to use something, write me.

Technorati Tags: , ,, , ,

Comments

Kate said…
DUCKIES!!! Oooh, gotta check out her auction.

Good post, Julie. Thoughtful.

I love "the wedding of Forty Forks".
Unknown said…
1. Knight in Shining Armor Duck is the best!
2. The Wedding of Forty Forks? There's a short story in there somewhere.
3. Gift lists. I'm like you in that I prefer not to have a list. Except for kids. From the parental point of view, I want to work witht the parent and not show up with something they don't need or the parents don't want their kid to have.
4. Expectations. Don't you know it. You are so right about our expectations and sense of entitlement in gifting and in life. Thank you for sharing your little journey of enlightment and reminding us to look past the gift to the heart behind it. Well done.
Her Bad Mother said…
This is such a beautiful post. I struggled for a long time with my mother's tendency to buy gifts that I hated (one year, a pair of XXL denim overalls. I am not XXL, I am not even L, and I do not wear overalls. Another year, a necklace made of wood. I could go on.) Until I really came to appreciate the message in each gift, each of which came from her heart (the overalls were because SHE loved overalls, the comfort of them, and wanted me to have that experience of comfort.)

And, thank you for YOUR gift, promoting the auction.
Gwen said…
I appreciated the way you enlarged the gifting lesson to a life one; strangely, I'm not disappointed by life nearly as often as I am by gifts. I'm at the point where I don't want to tell people what I want; I just want them to buy me something meaningful, instead of buying me the "right" thing. I have this policy where I try to be for others things I really desire for myself. This generally works except when I buy my nieces and nephews books and I know their parents don't appreciate it. Or I assume, since the homes are bookless (I know! the horror!), they're not appreciated. Then what do you do?
Girlplustwo said…
i tried to comment here a few days ago and couldn't b/c blogger was acting up...i so liked it...the whole standing up for oneself...in the midst of it all.

thoughtful and really quite lovely.

Popular posts from this blog

In defense of vanity...I think

Do you have one of those issues where you argue with yourself? Where you just aren't sure what you actually think because there are so many messages and opinions on the topic around you? I have more than one like this. However, there is one topic that has been struggling to the top of my mind recently: vanity and perceived vanity. Can vanity be a good thing? Vanity has historically been truly reviled. Vanity is number seven of the Seven Deadly Sins. It's the doppleganger of number seven on the Seven Holy Virtues list: humility. There are many moralistic tales of how vanity makes you evil and brings about a spectacular downfall. Consider the lady who bathed in the blood of virgins to maintain her youth. Google Borgia+vanity and find plenty. The Brothers Grimm and Disney got in on the act too. The Disney message seems to be: the truly beautiful don't need to be vain. They are just naturally eye-catchingly gorgeous. And they are all gorgeous. Show me the Reubenesque Princess.

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Quorum

After being confronted with written evidence, Julie admits that she is a total attention whore. In some things, in some ways, sometimes I look outward for validation of my worth and existence. I admit it. It's my weak spot, my vanity spot . If you say I am clever, comment on a post, offer me an award, mention me on your blog, reply to a comment I left on your blog, or in any way flatter me as a writer...I am hopelessly, slavishly devoted to you. I will probably even add you to my blogroll just so everyone can see the list of all the cool kids who actually like me . The girl, she knows she is vain in this regard , but after much vanity discussion and navel-gazing , she has decided to love herself anyway, as she is (ironically) and will keep searching for (1) internal validation and (2) her first person . Until I reach a better point of self-actualization, though, may I just say that this week you people have been better than prozac and chocolate (together, with a side of white choc

Cancer's Calling Card

Foreword: I'm not a medical person, or any kind of expert. This post shouldn't be taken as God's word carved in stone by Moses. In other words, don't consider it to be any kind of authority or use it to treat, diagnose, or select medications. Do your own research and talk to your doctor, an actual expert, who, you know, went to medical school and stuff. This post is merely my best understanding of cancer and cancer treatment and prevention, as related to our situation, based on what I've learned from reading and talking to doctors. Author's Note: If you aren't interested in the cancer discussion and the things I learned, and only want to know the outcome of our appointment with the oncologist yesterday, skip to the end. I've divvied this up by sections, so go to the last section. What would you do if one day a postcard arrived in the mail to warn you that sometime in the next three years you would be diagnosed with cancer? Would you believe it? Change an