Skip to main content

This interview might explain a lot

There's nothing a good nosey rosey (like me) enjoys as much as an interview. The past couple of weeks I've been reading and loving the many different interviews on my favorite blogs. And, as always, what goes around comes around.

The fabulous Mary of Life, the Universe, and Everything sent me some interview questions to answer.

Let's see if I can be half as interesting as everyone else. :) Actually, let's see if a long-winded overthinker (like me) can even come up with an answer. ;)


Looking back, what do you think was your greatest intellectual influence?


This is a sort of chicken/egg question for me. I think my nature is to be supremely curious, always. As long as I can remember, I've had a driving need to know. Everyone around me caught on to this, and that I also was graced with enough intelligence to understand (most of) the information in front of me. This meant I got the smart label, and it became very important to me to fulfill that label.

So the major things I always relied on for my curiosity and role-fulfillment are:

1. The library. Nothing in the world demonstrates so very visually just how much there is to know and learn as an enormous building filled with books written about every topic under the sun. Topics I didn't even know existed until I saw a book about it. Once I grew out of the children's section, I cruised every area, fiction and nonfiction alike. I read medical, science, legal, philosophy, foreign language, travel, and so forth. Over thirty years later and I'm not even a quarter done.

2. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. My mother is a teacher, who also happens to be a supremely curious person. She always encouraged me in my pursuit of knowledge, including talking to me about the books I read and displaying interest in what I learned. My father expects his children to pursue knowledge in all areas and disciplines. Period. Like the breath of life. I remember him giving me magazine subscriptions---such as Scientific American when I was in elementary school---to support a current interest. Just because he thought I could (and should), I did. I read things like that, researched, learned, and believed I could.

Basically, my parents supported my intellectual pursuits. For example, in the summer, I got to take extra courses for fun, such as astronomy and Russian history, foreign languages, and more. The local university offered these things to area kids. During my Mad Scientist phase (which I'm sure my parents both wished would soon pass, but hasn't yet LOL) my dad bought me a chemistry kit, microscope, chemistry book, telescope, and even arranged for me to tour a real lab and meet real chemists.

I was surrounded by curious (and highly educated) people. Both parents had college degrees (my dad advanced, his sister even more so). I'm actually the fourth generation (or more) educated beyond basic school. My grandmothers (and even great-grandmothers) had careers outside the home. My maternal great-grandmother moved off to the city (by herself!) and worked as one of the first telephone operators. My paternal great-grandmother was a working artist.

(Feminism was just a movement that supported what I already knew and saw.)

Learning and commitment to learning was never geeky in my family. I grew up wondering why some kids thought it was so cool to like "dumb."

Now I do it to my own kids, who are also both supremely curious. They come by it honestly. Yesterday, Patience and I watched one of our favorite shows: The Naked Archaeologist.

Please name the best television show from your growing up years and explain why.


This is easy: Mr. Rogers. Hands down. As to why, well, there's always my confession about being a member of the Mr. Rogers cult.

We did own a television, which was disguised as a large buffet. It lived in the living room and was on rarely, as I recall. My mother had strict limits on shows and time allowed to watch when I was a kid. The lights had to be on, and we were not allowed to sit close (which was a pain if you had to adjust the volume or change the channel since back then it was all knobs).

If you are at all curious what else I watched during my mind-forming years (and this might explain a lot):

The Superfriends Hour by Hanna-Barbera.

The Krofft Superstar Hour. Favorites were: The Bugaloos and Electra Woman and Dyna Girl. I can still do the theme songs, if you like.

Batman and Robin (the TV show)

You know you thought Adam West was a hottie.


[Batgirl rescues The Dynamic Duo from peril]
Batman: How did you know?
Batgirl: Through the one thing you couldn't possibly have in your utility belt, Batman... a woman's intuition.


Nancy Drew Mystery Hour
. Biggest trauma: Dad walking in and gasping, "Holy cow, that's last month's centerfold in Playboy!" I gasped back, "No it's NOT, Dad! That's NANCY DREW! She'd never be naked in a dirty boys magazine!" He felt compelled to prove me wrong. I cried. And cried. And cried. And never could watch the show with the same appreciation, so it faded out pretty quickly.

Little House on the Prairie
. I've caught a couple of re-runs and I wonder, good grief, what in the world? But back then, I loved it. And no insulin was required.

Battlestar Galactica. The original, real one. Bad special effects and pitiful story lines and all. Where Starbuck was a guy. And Apollo was a hottie. But I didn't watch it solely for the eye-candy, although that abounded.

Buck Rogers. Do you see a theme?

For the record, my mom let me watch the sweet shows (like Little House, and Nancy Drew, although was a little worried it was "too scary") and my Dad indulged me in all my sci-fi loves.

To this day, my TIVO line up reads the same: sweet show, sci-fi, mystery.

Borrowing this question from Sunshine Scribe, what are your guilty pleasures?

I come from a long line of tidy, curious and guilty people. Therefore, pretty much anything I do for me, especially if it is pleasurable, invokes guilt. Those, you see, are wants, not needs.

Okay so quick list I can think of over the past week:

Indulging in pride of my children (who are the most intelligent, most interesting, most beautiful children ever)
Chocolate
Buying three books at Half Price Books (instead of hitting the library)
Hiding and reading (it used to just be reading, but now I have to hide, too)
Reading mysteries (Tess Gerritsen on the side table)
Reading "women's fiction" which we might as well call by its real name: torrid romances (Suzanne Brockmann rules)
Watching TV
Watching "crap" TV like reality shows
Half and half at Starbucks (green tea and lemonade, low on ice, grande)
Weight Watchers chocolate and caramel one point treats
Tres Leches cake (1/4 of one small slice, probably still 8 billion grams of fat)
Blogging
Surfing the Internet

Errr...good enough I think.

Which is of greater necessity - justice or forgiveness?

Oh hit me where it hurts.

Justice and order are cornerstones of my personality.

I was the playground police. You better believe I noted every wrong and did my best to turn it around to a right. After my shoe experience, I became the kid who stood up to bullies. In fifth grade it was Tasha, who had me pinned against the wall, feet dangling. I defied her, and in fact, with the persuasive edge of my golden tongue, I convinced her to give up her bullying ways. I was the Classroom Superhero for about 2 days, then we all forgot about it.

It's a little known fact but my original career plan (and, in fact, first professional job) was to be a lawyer. Yep, I was even an officer of Phi Alpha Delta. Unfortunately, I did not follow-through. I will probably always regret this a little, but as I grow older I see how it might not have been for the best, anyway.

The point is, justice is essential to me. It doesn't matter if something involves me or not: injustice burns me inside, like a fire.

Take last week. There was a massive office building that burned down. I'm livid that because it was built in 1979, it actually (though up to code for buildings on that era) wasn't safe. There wasn't a sprinkler system, nor adequate alarms. Word of mouth is how people---most---found out they were in danger. Some never did, and died, including the mother of a young girl. The mother was scheduled to testify in a court case the next day against a man who molested her daughter.

I can't hardly stand it.

The building owners and managers will escape culpability in all liklihood because this is a ridiculous loophole that allows their building to not have to keep up with the times to SOME degree.

A molestor may go free because the key testimony died with the mother.

And worst of all, a little girl---in the middle of a terrible trauma---lost her mother.

And other families lost their loved ones.

And in another situation that will probably be a blog post this week, the city has worked hard to find a reason to cancel the lease for land a hospital for the mentally handicapped sits on. They managed it. They are rescinding the lease, and handing out eviction notices. They said, as if it is a big DUH, that selling the prime real estate land will net bigger profit than the lease to the "retarded hospital." I wanted to scream, I might have done, a little.

I grieve. I burn.

But.

In the end, justice is a complicated thing, often out of our control. It's a complex issue, and this quetion...I could write an entire essay.

Therefore, from a personal vantage point, I think forgiveness is of greater necessity. However, I don't define forgiveness the way a lot of people do. And that's definitely another blog post.

Who do you think is the most important person alive today?


It really depends upon how you mean important and from which vantage point, you know?

I think The Pope is one of the most influential people. Bush is one of the most powerful. If this was a year ago, Saddam Hussein might be a good answer since he sure got a lot of crickets hopping.

But at the end of the day, I think I'm going to go with Paris Hilton. It's not respect from me, either. She just represents so much---I mean, she's such a symbol for these days.

Thanks Mary and thanks to anyone who read!

copyright 2007 Julie Pippert

Comments

thailandchani said…
I agree that putting Paris Hilton in a time capsule would save a lot of long descriptive articles, PhD theses and deep social commentary. She does kind of sum it up, doesn't she? :)


Peace,

~Chani
Bones said…
Wow.. justice and forgiveness. that's a tough one. I spose the Christian in me would say forgiveness, but justice is the whole reason I got involved in politics to begin with.

Spike Lee did a film a couple years ago called 25th hour . it wasn't a Christian film by any stretch, but it summed up ecclesiastical forgiveness perfectly; the idea that even when we are forgiven, be it by law or by God, we still have to pay the earthly consequences for our transgression. Go rent it!

I suppose in the case of the molester, as you mentioned, forgiveness would be more important than justice. The victim probably wont have any real peace till s/he forgives the perp. But on a global scale, sex trafficking altogether is worthless if there is only forgiveness and no justice; only justice can end the cycle that requires so much forgiveness.

Wow, that didn't really help at all. Maybe I'll come back in a few days with an answer.
Girlplustwo said…
great answers..and great questions.

justice or forgiveness. this is a whole post in itself.
NotSoSage said…
(resurfacing after much too much time away)

Ooh, Mary LUE really gotcha on the justice v. forgiveness one.

For some reason, I spent some time on Yahoo News today and couldn't get over the shite (excuse my French) on there...why does the world care that Donald Trump shaved some WWE personality's head, except to realise just how far down we've come?

Great answers.
Julie Pippert said…
Chani, she does. Oh, yes, she surely does. I feel like saving that photo and pulling it out any time anyone is waxing nostalgic about the good old days about 40 years from now LMAO.

*************************************

I'll have to check into that film, only: no children can be harmed, nothing must be an arrow into my overly sensitive mommy heart, it can't be too depressing, and hopefully it ends on an up note.

I know: pitiful.

Listen, I have to be careful what I feed my brain these days. It's...delicate.

Maybe we need a blogger roundtable on this question.

*************************************

Jen, you just added another check to the roundtable discussion.

************************************

Sage, mahvelous to see you dahlink.

Mary-LUE wrote some awesome questions.

Did the Donald shave someone's head? And this was noted somewhere other than The Onion? ;)

Cursing is allowing in appropriate measure here. My ears are rarely offended. Unless it's directed *at* me. LOL
Mom O Matic said…
As always, I save your posts till the kids are napping. They are always so GOOD and make me think after I've read them.
Unknown said…
Great answers and a lot to think about. I lean heavy on the side of justice myself. Not so much that it is better for me (because I think forgiveness would be healthier and better for me personally), but that justice is better for society as a whole. Forgiveness is tied to the individual and unfortunately, the individual holds less weight than the society. (If that makes any sense whatsoever) Whether that is "right", I cannot answer, just how I would feel about it.

The Bugaloos brought a smile to my face!
Julie Pippert said…
Lotta, wow, thank you!

Momish, LOL...the Bugaloos. And okay, excellent point about personal gain versus societal gain. I had not considered that angle. Hmmm. Must reconsider answer.
Unknown said…
Okay, let's see what I can do with these answers:

1. I am envious of the encouragement your intellect received. I was something of an odd duck in my family, intellectually speaking. There was very little interest in knowledge and education. I only started community college after high school because it was easy to sign up for and I didn't know what else to do. Of course, then I dropped out and worked for awhile, the dropped in, then dropped out and worked for awhile and got married, then dropped in and FINALLY finished.

2. I heart Superfriends! And Buck Rogers. Woo Woo! I think Toddled Dredge recently posted a YouTube clip of a scene from that show. The Buck Rogers era Gil Gerard actually holds up pretty good.

3. Guilty pleasures. I think yours are well-deserved! :)

4. Justice v. Forgiveness. That is a hard one, I know. But I knew you could take it! I think I was born with a love for justice in my heart. Growing older and being more and more aware of my own need for forgiveness has allowed me to look at others with a more forgiving eye. I like the comment by Momish differentiating between society's need for justice and an individual's need to forgive. I like that.

5. Ugh. Paris. I don't even know where to begin with her. I did do a post months and months ago about an article that was written about her in the paper. She had been at a press conference for a Paris Hilton video game and had called it by the wrong title. The reporter had written that this verbal misstep was inexplicable. I thought "explicable" would have been more like it. Regardless of who she is behind the public facade, it was exactly like that public facade to now know the name of her own video game. This of course, has nothing really to do with Paris. It was the reporter who bugged me.

Thank you so much for letting me interview you. I knew you'd come through with great answers. I've really loved reading these interviews. I feel like they've been a great means of getting to know people.

Maybe we should do this every year?

Popular posts from this blog

In defense of vanity...I think

Do you have one of those issues where you argue with yourself? Where you just aren't sure what you actually think because there are so many messages and opinions on the topic around you? I have more than one like this. However, there is one topic that has been struggling to the top of my mind recently: vanity and perceived vanity. Can vanity be a good thing? Vanity has historically been truly reviled. Vanity is number seven of the Seven Deadly Sins. It's the doppleganger of number seven on the Seven Holy Virtues list: humility. There are many moralistic tales of how vanity makes you evil and brings about a spectacular downfall. Consider the lady who bathed in the blood of virgins to maintain her youth. Google Borgia+vanity and find plenty. The Brothers Grimm and Disney got in on the act too. The Disney message seems to be: the truly beautiful don't need to be vain. They are just naturally eye-catchingly gorgeous. And they are all gorgeous. Show me the Reubenesque Princess.

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Quorum

After being confronted with written evidence, Julie admits that she is a total attention whore. In some things, in some ways, sometimes I look outward for validation of my worth and existence. I admit it. It's my weak spot, my vanity spot . If you say I am clever, comment on a post, offer me an award, mention me on your blog, reply to a comment I left on your blog, or in any way flatter me as a writer...I am hopelessly, slavishly devoted to you. I will probably even add you to my blogroll just so everyone can see the list of all the cool kids who actually like me . The girl, she knows she is vain in this regard , but after much vanity discussion and navel-gazing , she has decided to love herself anyway, as she is (ironically) and will keep searching for (1) internal validation and (2) her first person . Until I reach a better point of self-actualization, though, may I just say that this week you people have been better than prozac and chocolate (together, with a side of white choc

Cancer's Calling Card

Foreword: I'm not a medical person, or any kind of expert. This post shouldn't be taken as God's word carved in stone by Moses. In other words, don't consider it to be any kind of authority or use it to treat, diagnose, or select medications. Do your own research and talk to your doctor, an actual expert, who, you know, went to medical school and stuff. This post is merely my best understanding of cancer and cancer treatment and prevention, as related to our situation, based on what I've learned from reading and talking to doctors. Author's Note: If you aren't interested in the cancer discussion and the things I learned, and only want to know the outcome of our appointment with the oncologist yesterday, skip to the end. I've divvied this up by sections, so go to the last section. What would you do if one day a postcard arrived in the mail to warn you that sometime in the next three years you would be diagnosed with cancer? Would you believe it? Change an