Skip to main content

The winner of the drawing!




My extremely cute and talented assistant, Persistence, drew the name for me.

In case you can't read it, it's Stephanie!

Congratulations, Stephanie! Stephanie's post for the Hump Day Hmm grabbed me from the get-go when it began with a quote from The West Wing.

By the way, for reasons I cannot disclose, I happened to have Regis and Kelly on the other morning. To the guy who did not know Josh Lyman's name? Four words: Buy it on DVD.

Also, for more reasons I cannot disclose, I admit to possibly being the only person in the US who did not want Josh and Donna to get it on together. I thought Josh was a mess, and Donna needed a pulled together guy. Yes, I was emotionally invested.

Wow, I really miss that show.

Dear TV Executives, I would actually tune in and watch your stations if you had ANY show on that was not crime or hospital based. I miss The Cosby Show. I miss The West Wing. I really miss Keen Eddie. Twin Peaks---I hear the funky weird supernatural is really popular right now. And yes, I miss Star Trek--The Next Generation. By the way, the Parker Posey show sucks rocks and I cannot express my massive disappointment about that. I don't know what happened to comedy but I fear the funny has been hoovered right out of Hollywood. Also, I'd like to know which publisher pays enough for a book editor to live in a multi-million dollar loft in Manhattan; my publishing friends are also clamoring to know. Basically the book editors I know are pinching pennies to cover the cost of new socks and milk, which pretty much takes the entire paycheck. Sincerely, a former TV Junkie who now gives her dollars to Barnes and Noble.

Now, a question for Stephanie: clowns or humor in your book?

Drop an email when you get a chance: j pippert at g mail dot com.

Copyright 2008 Julie Pippert
Also blogging at:
Julie Pippert REVIEWS: Get a real opinion about BOOKS, MUSIC and MORE
Julie Pippert RECOMMENDS: A real opinion about HELPFUL and TIME-SAVING products
Moms Speak Up: Talking about the environment, dangerous imports, health care, food safety, media and marketing, education, politics and many other hot topics of concern.
MOMocrats

Comments

S said…
Congratulations, Stephanie!

And Julie, a factoid. Aaron Sorkin (lead writer for West Wing) went to my high school.

Woo hoo!

I loved that show too. At least at the beginning, before Sorkin stopped writing for it.
Dear TV Executives,

We really could use some more reality and/or gameshow TV, because on any given night there are still two full 1/2 hours that are not yet occupied by dysfunctional celebrity families, opportunities to embarrass yourself for money, or situations where you can vote somebody off into the 15 minute hall of fame forever.

I believe this is a serious gap in your programming schedule and an important oversight on your part.

Thank you for your consideration.
Anonymous said…
Parker Posey/Jezebel James? Is that what you're talking about? I was so plunged into despair after the cancellation of Gilmore Girls that I've been way more excited about the new show that I probably should have been. And...it did suck rocks.
Yolanda said…
Oh god. We waited months...months(!)...to watch the final season of The West Wing on my TiVo. I just couldn't bare watching the end. I didn't want it to be over. We did the same thing with Six Feet Under. I don't fall for a lot of shows (no love for Grey's Anatomy, Seinfeld, Friends, or American Idol). But when I fall, I fall hard.
Florinda said…
I was kind of ambivalent about Josh and Donna together as well - after the first few seasons, I really thought she deserved better.

This political season has made me think a lot about pulling out my West Wing DVDs and watching them all straight through again.
My daughter has that dress!!
le35 said…
Congrats to Stephanie,

Julie, I'm sorry, but it must be the Criminal Justice major in me, but I LOVE Law and Order and Numb3rs. I'm a solve the crime TV girl. (Although, as a whole, I'm not a TV girl.) And I'm becoming a bit of a Supernanny and Nanny 911 junkie. It's driving Rob crazy.
we_be_toys said…
Hard to miss the extreme excitement on your lovely assistant's face -

"Oh mother, do I HAVE to?"

I have to agree with you about the plethora of hospital and cop shows - Snooze Central.

We've been watching "Ugly Betty", "Reaper", "The Office", and "The Big Bang Theory" this past season and not one of them has cops or a hospital in them. Yes, they are comedies, but after wrestling with two boys and life in general, I just want a "Goldie Hawnie, Chevy Chasey kind of thing" - Kathy Najimy in The Fisher King.
Christine said…
i guessed i missed some contests when i was "vacationing!" LOL

hey--aren't you excited about So You think You can dance?

Sorry I haven't been around--i'm going to try and get back into the swing of things. hopefully.
painted maypole said…
i loved WW too, and rejoiced when Studio 60 started, and mourned when it ended
Karen Jensen said…
Yes. And I really liked Pushing Daisies, which only lasted until the writer's strike. A little bit of good writing on a tv show goes a long way.

Popular posts from this blog

In defense of vanity...I think

Do you have one of those issues where you argue with yourself? Where you just aren't sure what you actually think because there are so many messages and opinions on the topic around you? I have more than one like this. However, there is one topic that has been struggling to the top of my mind recently: vanity and perceived vanity. Can vanity be a good thing? Vanity has historically been truly reviled. Vanity is number seven of the Seven Deadly Sins. It's the doppleganger of number seven on the Seven Holy Virtues list: humility. There are many moralistic tales of how vanity makes you evil and brings about a spectacular downfall. Consider the lady who bathed in the blood of virgins to maintain her youth. Google Borgia+vanity and find plenty. The Brothers Grimm and Disney got in on the act too. The Disney message seems to be: the truly beautiful don't need to be vain. They are just naturally eye-catchingly gorgeous. And they are all gorgeous. Show me the Reubenesque Princess.

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Quorum

After being confronted with written evidence, Julie admits that she is a total attention whore. In some things, in some ways, sometimes I look outward for validation of my worth and existence. I admit it. It's my weak spot, my vanity spot . If you say I am clever, comment on a post, offer me an award, mention me on your blog, reply to a comment I left on your blog, or in any way flatter me as a writer...I am hopelessly, slavishly devoted to you. I will probably even add you to my blogroll just so everyone can see the list of all the cool kids who actually like me . The girl, she knows she is vain in this regard , but after much vanity discussion and navel-gazing , she has decided to love herself anyway, as she is (ironically) and will keep searching for (1) internal validation and (2) her first person . Until I reach a better point of self-actualization, though, may I just say that this week you people have been better than prozac and chocolate (together, with a side of white choc

Cancer's Calling Card

Foreword: I'm not a medical person, or any kind of expert. This post shouldn't be taken as God's word carved in stone by Moses. In other words, don't consider it to be any kind of authority or use it to treat, diagnose, or select medications. Do your own research and talk to your doctor, an actual expert, who, you know, went to medical school and stuff. This post is merely my best understanding of cancer and cancer treatment and prevention, as related to our situation, based on what I've learned from reading and talking to doctors. Author's Note: If you aren't interested in the cancer discussion and the things I learned, and only want to know the outcome of our appointment with the oncologist yesterday, skip to the end. I've divvied this up by sections, so go to the last section. What would you do if one day a postcard arrived in the mail to warn you that sometime in the next three years you would be diagnosed with cancer? Would you believe it? Change an