Skip to main content

On the first day of DIY my true love gave to me. . .

. . .A carpenter with a fair fee.

Beginning today, I imagine most people will be madly engaged in celebrating Christmas in its various forms (Before, During, and After).

At our house, we will honor and celebrate the season by decorating our house with Round Tuits.

Have you ever received a Round Tuit at Christmas? I believe I got the first one ever in elementary school at an ornament exchange. One child brought a large red, breakable ball with silver glittery letters that proclaimed, "Round Tuit." Attached to the hook was a small tag that read, "Do you often say, 'I'll do it when I get a round tuit?' Here's your round tuit, so get cracking."

You can imagine how much that thrilled me. However, the adults were greatly entertained and I quickly and willingly lost the round tuit to some grown-up.

It became a family joke, though. And as I grew older I began to appreciate it, and how its important message was delivered with humor.

So this Christmas---the first one we aren't knee deep in some sort of Big Huge New Transition and Associated Stress or Major Catastrophe (although I hesitate to curse myself by even saying anything like this)---we are finally going to get around to our long list of to dos.

While other people combed malls and stores over the past week, seeking gifts, I spent my time at Home Depot and the local hardware store buying supplies. While other people hung lights and garland to accentuate the holiday feel of their home, I prepped walls. While other people baked goodies and handcrafted knick knacks, I studied electrical How To manuals and reviewed the difference between red wires and blue. While other people devoted time to a Rankin/Bass marathon, I Tivo'd Flip this House and Holmes on Homes and watched them as if I was going to be tested.

Today the carpenter (not to be confused with The Carpenter) is coming to discuss what he can do to help us salvage our kitchen cabinets. Our cabinets are solid, hardwood. They are exquisite material-wise. Exquisitely ugly and in need of repair aesthetically. But we believe the best thing is to try to rehabilitate and salvage them.

We've got two bathrooms to paint (one needs the paper stripped from the walls, first), a wall to repair, door stops to install, a new door to stain, blinds to hang, three pieces of furniture to build, linoleum to research, and a mantle to design. At least. If we get this and the electrical stuff finished, we'll see...because the list is long.

We'll be constructively occupied (pun intended).

Copyright 2007 Julie Pippert
Also blogging at:
Using My Words
Julie Pippert REVIEWS: Get a real opinion about BOOKS, MUSIC and MORE
Julie Pippert RECOMMENDS: A real opinion about HELPFUL and TIME-SAVING products
Moms Speak Up: Talking about the environment, dangerous imports, health care, food safety, media and marketing, education, politics and many other hot topics of concern.

Comments

Whirlwind said…
Good luck with that list! It sounds like my house.
Suz said…
Once again, you are a woman after my own heart! I'm sad that we're going out of town because I would so much rather stay here and do home improvement projects...I still have to replace the fan in the master bedroom and do some decorating. I'm saving my kitchen, though, to next Christmas when we'll be home.

I so love Home Depot at the holidays, where it's empty, nobody but you and the contractors!
Gwen said…
You and my husband would get along famously. Our house was brand spanking new when we bought it 3 years ago, and still, his list of projects to accomplish when he's "off" is remarkable. I'm like, okay, baby, have at it, but I'm going to the movies. We're such a good team that way. (heh)
Aliki2006 said…
I have never heard of a "round tuit" and I'm enthralled.

Oh, house projects--they never seem to end, do they?
Karen Jensen said…
We're going to paint and refloor my daughter's room next week. I'll be thinking of you!
I love Flip This House, Julie :)

Good luck with the renos. It all sounds very exciting. Will we see before and after shots? When you get round tuit?

Heidi
painted maypole said…
good luck with your projects. my dad and grandfather have been working hard at my house, and did lots of the "round tuit" jobs for us! it's fabulous!!!
Have fun with all that. As you know, I just finished a bathroom project myself. VERY Satisfying - once you're done of course.

Merry Christmas Julie!
At this point I'd rather be doing home improvements than baking cookies or wrapping gifts. Good luck and Merry Christmas!
Anonymous said…
It's funny you should post this now, because I just saw my first Round Tuit yesterday -- in Wales.
Melissa said…
I remember the round tuits, too. We gave them out in HS as a student council thing. Very cool.

And Holmes on Homes is one of my faves, too.

Have fun with the projects. I did some paper stripping not long ago and I can tell you that it is about the eighth circle.

Merry Christmas!
Michele said…
I've never heard of a "round tuit" either but I think I need to implement this tradition in my household. How fun. Good luck with the house projects.

Popular posts from this blog

In defense of vanity...I think

Do you have one of those issues where you argue with yourself? Where you just aren't sure what you actually think because there are so many messages and opinions on the topic around you? I have more than one like this. However, there is one topic that has been struggling to the top of my mind recently: vanity and perceived vanity. Can vanity be a good thing? Vanity has historically been truly reviled. Vanity is number seven of the Seven Deadly Sins. It's the doppleganger of number seven on the Seven Holy Virtues list: humility. There are many moralistic tales of how vanity makes you evil and brings about a spectacular downfall. Consider the lady who bathed in the blood of virgins to maintain her youth. Google Borgia+vanity and find plenty. The Brothers Grimm and Disney got in on the act too. The Disney message seems to be: the truly beautiful don't need to be vain. They are just naturally eye-catchingly gorgeous. And they are all gorgeous. Show me the Reubenesque Princess.

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Quorum

After being confronted with written evidence, Julie admits that she is a total attention whore. In some things, in some ways, sometimes I look outward for validation of my worth and existence. I admit it. It's my weak spot, my vanity spot . If you say I am clever, comment on a post, offer me an award, mention me on your blog, reply to a comment I left on your blog, or in any way flatter me as a writer...I am hopelessly, slavishly devoted to you. I will probably even add you to my blogroll just so everyone can see the list of all the cool kids who actually like me . The girl, she knows she is vain in this regard , but after much vanity discussion and navel-gazing , she has decided to love herself anyway, as she is (ironically) and will keep searching for (1) internal validation and (2) her first person . Until I reach a better point of self-actualization, though, may I just say that this week you people have been better than prozac and chocolate (together, with a side of white choc

Cancer's Calling Card

Foreword: I'm not a medical person, or any kind of expert. This post shouldn't be taken as God's word carved in stone by Moses. In other words, don't consider it to be any kind of authority or use it to treat, diagnose, or select medications. Do your own research and talk to your doctor, an actual expert, who, you know, went to medical school and stuff. This post is merely my best understanding of cancer and cancer treatment and prevention, as related to our situation, based on what I've learned from reading and talking to doctors. Author's Note: If you aren't interested in the cancer discussion and the things I learned, and only want to know the outcome of our appointment with the oncologist yesterday, skip to the end. I've divvied this up by sections, so go to the last section. What would you do if one day a postcard arrived in the mail to warn you that sometime in the next three years you would be diagnosed with cancer? Would you believe it? Change an