Skip to main content

Hump Day Hmmm: Forgiving Fate

EDITED WITH UPDATE:Since I have come to doing Hump Day Hmms every other week, and the deadline often seems burdensome to most, I have a suggestion: I put up the Hump Day Hmm "assignment" one week, and do the Host Post the following week. So assignment and post alternate weeks. This gives everyone a full 7 days (or so) to get around to it. How's that?


Sometimes it is not a person we need to forgive, or have forgive us. Sometimes it is happenstance.

If I sat and listed the times happenstance has brought challenge, difficulty or harm to me, it would be a long and depressing list. For example, the time practically everything we owned was lost or ruined during a move. For example, my cousin dying so young and tragically. That's quite enough. Actually, today, when I sat and thought, most of the things felt like beaten rugs; they felt largely done. I've been doing a lot of letting go lately.

The bottom line is that we can't control everything and sometimes this can make us feel powerless, and angry. Eventually, though, we need to move forward, and if theory holds, that means forgiving, letting it go.

Try a different story: Jan Grzebski wakes after a 19 year coma.

In 1988 Mr. Grzebski of Poland was in an accident that put him into a coma.

The world has changed a lot in almost 20 years. Poland especially. Mr. Grzebski says he is amazed at the plethora of goods available in the store, the new technology, and by life in the 21st century in general. When he went to sleep, Poland was a communist country and now it's a democracy. He missed his four children growing up and getting married, and the birth of his 11 grandchildren. I'm sure he is glad for the time he gets now, but he lost almost 20 years of his life. That must take some heady reconciling to get through and adjust to life as it now, a life that kept moving even while he did not.

After I read that story I was struck: wow, what if I fell into a coma...what would I miss, how would I deal if I woke twenty years later?

I thought about several aspects:

1. What if I had fallen into a coma in 1988...what would I have lost?

2. What if I fell into a coma today...what do I have to lose?

3. What if I awoke after almost 20 years...how would I deal with all I missed, life as it is after my absence, and reintegrating myself into life? How would I do it? How would I deal with it? How would I forgive fate for all I had missed and lost? Would it be easy r hard? Would my gratitude of a second chance overwhelm me?

Thus the idea for the Hump Day Hmms of ths week was born.

If you choose to participate (and I sincerely hope that you do!!):

Imagine falling into a coma and awaking after twenty years. Choose either waking now after 20 years (question 1) or falling into a coma now and waking twenty years from now (question 2) or feel free to do both. Either way...tackle question 3.

Send me your links and I'll post them in the Host Post. I really hope to see a lot of you take this on. I admit I am so curious about all the various perspectives on this.

copyright 2007 Julie Pippert

Comments

Christine said…
Thisis very interesting, and I'll do it. I have a meme from Sage i need to do first, so maybe later in the week.

That is so sad about your cousin. Were you young too?

If we sit and think to hard about all that happenstance brings to our lives we'll go absolutely batty, I think. Though I think it actually takes some time to come to the point where we understand it is happenstance. Know what i mean? I think we so often look for answers to the whys of it all and the what could we have done differently questions. It can take a while, like you noted, to be done with it.
thailandchani said…
What an interesting concept! I'll take it on.. simply because at this moment, I have absolutely no answer. Time for the thinking corner. :)

Have you ever read the book by Stephen King, quite old, called "The Dead Zone"? Similar premise.


Peace,

~Chani
S said…
I'll try to do it, but I am swamped. If I can do it at all, it will certainly be late.

Too bad, because it's a fascinating question.
Unknown said…
Hmmm... I doubt I'll have the time/energy for this but it sounds so tantalizing. At the very least, I am looking forward to reading what others have to say. Maybe--if the Fates allow--I'll have something ready to share.
Girlplustwo said…
very interesting. this might be a week that i am again the observer, but observing all the same.
atypical said…
I love this and HOPE I manage a little time to write something today. I have my doubts (things have been crazy). Maybe if I take the laptop to piano with me....

-t
Gwen said…
Oh uh, dude! Thanks for telling me this wasn't due until next week AFTER I already wrote it. Now what?
Julie Pippert said…
Oh man this is a case of "I stink either way" LOL.

Sorry Gwen!!!

I will uhhh...think of something!!!

Promise...and open to great ideas.
Julie Pippert said…
By George I think/hope/pray I've GOT it...two host posts, round one and round two.

Sound good?
Anonymous said…
I love the every other week idea, with a week to do a post. Even the reading gets overwhelming for me.

I think I will participate with this one! My comment was getting kind of long.

Popular posts from this blog

In defense of vanity...I think

Do you have one of those issues where you argue with yourself? Where you just aren't sure what you actually think because there are so many messages and opinions on the topic around you? I have more than one like this. However, there is one topic that has been struggling to the top of my mind recently: vanity and perceived vanity. Can vanity be a good thing? Vanity has historically been truly reviled. Vanity is number seven of the Seven Deadly Sins. It's the doppleganger of number seven on the Seven Holy Virtues list: humility. There are many moralistic tales of how vanity makes you evil and brings about a spectacular downfall. Consider the lady who bathed in the blood of virgins to maintain her youth. Google Borgia+vanity and find plenty. The Brothers Grimm and Disney got in on the act too. The Disney message seems to be: the truly beautiful don't need to be vain. They are just naturally eye-catchingly gorgeous. And they are all gorgeous. Show me the Reubenesque Princess.

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Quorum

After being confronted with written evidence, Julie admits that she is a total attention whore. In some things, in some ways, sometimes I look outward for validation of my worth and existence. I admit it. It's my weak spot, my vanity spot . If you say I am clever, comment on a post, offer me an award, mention me on your blog, reply to a comment I left on your blog, or in any way flatter me as a writer...I am hopelessly, slavishly devoted to you. I will probably even add you to my blogroll just so everyone can see the list of all the cool kids who actually like me . The girl, she knows she is vain in this regard , but after much vanity discussion and navel-gazing , she has decided to love herself anyway, as she is (ironically) and will keep searching for (1) internal validation and (2) her first person . Until I reach a better point of self-actualization, though, may I just say that this week you people have been better than prozac and chocolate (together, with a side of white choc

Cancer's Calling Card

Foreword: I'm not a medical person, or any kind of expert. This post shouldn't be taken as God's word carved in stone by Moses. In other words, don't consider it to be any kind of authority or use it to treat, diagnose, or select medications. Do your own research and talk to your doctor, an actual expert, who, you know, went to medical school and stuff. This post is merely my best understanding of cancer and cancer treatment and prevention, as related to our situation, based on what I've learned from reading and talking to doctors. Author's Note: If you aren't interested in the cancer discussion and the things I learned, and only want to know the outcome of our appointment with the oncologist yesterday, skip to the end. I've divvied this up by sections, so go to the last section. What would you do if one day a postcard arrived in the mail to warn you that sometime in the next three years you would be diagnosed with cancer? Would you believe it? Change an