Skip to main content

It's always just a day at the beach


Hump Day Hmm Due WEDNESDAY (that's tomorrow) and it's a humdinger...

Have you kept a secret or have you lied, directly or by omission, about something big? How did you make your decision---did it bring about justice? How did forgiveness fit in (or not)? Would you do it the same next time?

OR flip it and have it be someone kept a secret or lied to you.

Or both.

Or neither, and just talk about it in general, in principle...for example, discuss a time an important leader lied to people he or she represented.

And feel free to give me feedback about this topic or suggest one.

And now a little meme fun first from TMI Tuesday:

1. If you were to face the Wizard of Oz, would you want more courage, more brains, or more heart?

Right now, I'd ask for more courage. I'd actually want more confidence and bravery, but I'd hope courage would be a package that encompassed those. I've spent the last few years having my rear soundly kicked by life, and lately on the inside---and uncomfortably even sometimes on the outside---I've felt like a cringy, whiny little girl who just wants to curl up in the fetal position and have her mommy.

I've always prided myself (there you go: pride, my first problem LOL) on my courage (and heart and brains) and how I wouldn't need anything from a wizard.

But sometimes life can easily yank that pedestal out from under you.

So here I am, at the wizard's, hat in hand. ;)

The funny thing is that what the wizard really offers is to help you see what you had inside all along so I'll take that too.

2. Have you ever gone to court for anything? What for?


No. Well, jury duty.

3. What was the last thing you did that you previously told yourself you wouldn't do?

Do you know, this is a large part of my every day? I either set expectations too high or cave too often, LOL.

But they are small things, usually.

Yesterday I said:

While at the grocery store I'm not going to buy any cookies. I did.

I also said I wasn't going to buy anything not on the list. I did. Some things were good deals.

I also said I was not going to have buttons that the kids could push, would not lose my temper or patience. I did. I had no sooner picked up Patience from camp at noon and she started in and I felt that irritation flare. I kept my cool outwardly, for the most part, but she and her sister continued on their tornadic path of destruction so by the time my husband got home I was this close (fingers pressed together) to Parenting like a Fishwife, and when I finally went on backup duty so I could fold the 25 baskets of laundry, and things got worse, I did it. I lost my cool and yelled.

4. Did you ever have a summer fling while on vacation?


Yes. God how cliched. Spring Break. At the beach. However, because this is me we are talking about here, I brought him home as a long-term serial monogomy boyfriend.

5. Have you ever done anything sexual with someone who's name you never knew?


Nope. Truly.

Bonus (as in optional): What is the best way to mend a broken heart?

Time. Own the grief, and then keep putting one foot in front of the other.

copyright 2007 Julie Pippert

Comments

Girlplustwo said…
i love spring flings. the smell of coppertone and sugary drinks. the innocent ones, not the drunken disgusting, well, never mind. you know of which i speak.
Christine said…
one foot in front of the other. how do i do that with lead in my feet?

courage: I need that package, too.

sorry, again, about the misunderstanding. I think i need to just. step. away. from. the. computer.
Julie Pippert said…
Oh Jen, you know it! Isn't it aamzing...I can still smell that all these years later.

Christine my friend, wanna go with me to the wizard? :)

In a TMI moment again, I have simply learned that broken hearts for me don't heal; I just learned how to go on...but as I've said a lot oftimes in my HDH posts, it's more of because than anyway. Big (HUGS)

And no worries...I clarified b/c I dind't want you to think I had cast any doubt or aspersions. No need to be sorry and only back away if you need to. But know YOU'D BE SORELY MISSED. I think it is loverly you feel the way you do. I really do. And me? I am delighted to discuss differeing POVs. Honest abe. :)
Gwen said…
Courage for me, too, please.
S said…
Oh, Julie. I'm sorry you've been feeling as you described in #1.

Hugs.
Anonymous said…
courage and a teflon suit would be good.
Anonymous said…
It is the WORST feeling when you promise yourself you'll keep your cool with them and then you can't. Happened to me this morning -- hated myself all day and then he didn't even remember it!
Lawyer Mama said…
Oh, I've felt that way too! I'll offer you a cyber hug and a pair of ruby slippers.
thailandchani said…
I would definitely take courage from that package, too. There are far too many times I walk away from things because I don't deal with conflict well. Everyone loses.
thailandchani said…
Oh, forgot to mention. ..

I will write the post for tomorrow later on tonight and post it late tonight.


~Chani
Liv said…
Oh, I did like that meme. Broken hearts, eh? I'm not sure. Still struggling with hubris in the heart. Feeling silly, foolish...really, putting all the stuff on me. What about the damage doer? Hmmm...

Popular posts from this blog

In defense of vanity...I think

Do you have one of those issues where you argue with yourself? Where you just aren't sure what you actually think because there are so many messages and opinions on the topic around you? I have more than one like this. However, there is one topic that has been struggling to the top of my mind recently: vanity and perceived vanity. Can vanity be a good thing? Vanity has historically been truly reviled. Vanity is number seven of the Seven Deadly Sins. It's the doppleganger of number seven on the Seven Holy Virtues list: humility. There are many moralistic tales of how vanity makes you evil and brings about a spectacular downfall. Consider the lady who bathed in the blood of virgins to maintain her youth. Google Borgia+vanity and find plenty. The Brothers Grimm and Disney got in on the act too. The Disney message seems to be: the truly beautiful don't need to be vain. They are just naturally eye-catchingly gorgeous. And they are all gorgeous. Show me the Reubenesque Princess.

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Quorum

After being confronted with written evidence, Julie admits that she is a total attention whore. In some things, in some ways, sometimes I look outward for validation of my worth and existence. I admit it. It's my weak spot, my vanity spot . If you say I am clever, comment on a post, offer me an award, mention me on your blog, reply to a comment I left on your blog, or in any way flatter me as a writer...I am hopelessly, slavishly devoted to you. I will probably even add you to my blogroll just so everyone can see the list of all the cool kids who actually like me . The girl, she knows she is vain in this regard , but after much vanity discussion and navel-gazing , she has decided to love herself anyway, as she is (ironically) and will keep searching for (1) internal validation and (2) her first person . Until I reach a better point of self-actualization, though, may I just say that this week you people have been better than prozac and chocolate (together, with a side of white choc

Cancer's Calling Card

Foreword: I'm not a medical person, or any kind of expert. This post shouldn't be taken as God's word carved in stone by Moses. In other words, don't consider it to be any kind of authority or use it to treat, diagnose, or select medications. Do your own research and talk to your doctor, an actual expert, who, you know, went to medical school and stuff. This post is merely my best understanding of cancer and cancer treatment and prevention, as related to our situation, based on what I've learned from reading and talking to doctors. Author's Note: If you aren't interested in the cancer discussion and the things I learned, and only want to know the outcome of our appointment with the oncologist yesterday, skip to the end. I've divvied this up by sections, so go to the last section. What would you do if one day a postcard arrived in the mail to warn you that sometime in the next three years you would be diagnosed with cancer? Would you believe it? Change an