Skip to main content

Rosemary: Our Christmas tradition, a short story, and a brief poem by Marianne Moore

Each Christmas we buy rosemary, a small tree, in a little plastic pot, with a red or gold bow. It's a tradition Jon and I began a while back and I don't recall exactly why, which is ironic since rosemary is for remembrance. Every year we buy it and every year I try to keep it alive and plant it. Every year I fail. Except last year. Last year I managed to keep the rosemary alive. It thrived and grew, fragrant and full in its pot. I kept saying I needed to plant it but wasn't sure where, and felt worried that transferring it would end my happy steak of luck with the herb.

Then we lost Bubba. As a memorial to him, we decided to plant a garden with his grave. Now the rosemary had a spot and a purpose. It has flourished there, too, along with the beautiful hibiscus---golden, of course.

This year, so far, until today I have forgotten to buy rosemary. Another small fetch of irony. Or not. Perhaps I have let go of what I was trying to remember, or perhaps having finally succeeded at preserving a rosemary tree, I feel no need for another.

However, having now recalled its absence, I feel an urge to run find a place that is open today and get another little tree. The house doesn't seem to smell right without the pungent punch of rosemary accenting the fir and holly.

Rosemary is, after all, associated with Christmas, too:
Rosemary was used during the Middle Ages by housewives to spread on the floor at Christmas. As people walked on it, a pleasant aroma arose. Tradition has it that the shrub is fragrant because Mary laid the garments of the Christ Child on its branches. The night he was born, legend has it, the trees suddenly bore fruit and flowers blossomed out of season. Source: Santa's Net

Maybe I simply like the poetry, symbolism and history behind it.

I think Marianne Moore explains it best.

Rosemary

Beauty and Beauty's son and rosemary -
Venus and Love, her son, to speak plainly -
born of the sea supposedly,
at Christmas each, in company,
braids a garland of festivity.
Not always rosemary -

since the flight to Egypt, blooming indifferently.
With lancelike leaf, green but silver underneath,
its flowers - white originally -
turned blue. The herb of memory,
imitating the blue robe of Mary,
is not too legendary

to flower both as symbol and as pungency.
Springing from stones beside the sea,
the height of Christ when he was thirty-three,
it feeds on dew and to the bee
"hath a dumb language;" is in reality
a kind of Christmas tree.

Marianne Moore


The more I read this poem, the more layers I find. It's brilliant---absolutely a brilliant and amazing weaving of legend, myth and the Christmas story and tradition.

Enjoy.

And a happy time---whatever this time is for you, holiday of one sort or another, or not---may this be for you.

If it is Christmas for you, a very Merry Christmas to you.

Copyright 2007 Julie Pippert
Also blogging at:
Using My Words
Julie Pippert REVIEWS: Get a real opinion about BOOKS, MUSIC and MORE
Julie Pippert RECOMMENDS: A real opinion about HELPFUL and TIME-SAVING products
Moms Speak Up: Talking about the environment, dangerous imports, health care, food safety, media and marketing, education, politics and many other hot topics of concern.

Comments

S said…
Thank you for that. She is one of my very favorite poets.

Merry Christmas to you, Julie, and to your family. I wish you all joy and peace.
Liv said…
rosemary has such trouble being pot bound. :( i used to try and try and try until finally i gave up. wishing you good rosemary growing this season!
Kyla said…
Merry Christmas, Julie.
Karen Jensen said…
Thank you for the lovely poem.

I am lifting my coffee mug in silent tribute to the lovely Bubba.

Happy Christmas, Julie and family.
Anonymous said…
Merry Merry Christmas! Lovely poem...and what a neat tradition,too.
Anonymous said…
Merry Merry Christmas! Lovely poem...and what a neat tradition,too.
Anonymous said…
Merry Merry Christmas! Lovely poem...and what a neat tradition,too.
Merry Christmas, Julie, to you and yours. I'm so happy to have found you :)

Heidi
niobe said…
In keeping with my carefully cultivated aura of mystery, I'm not going to explain why this post did something complicated and twisty to my heart. But I'm guessing that you already know.

Merry Christmas.
Funny - I just posted something about our dog's death. Thurston was almost 15 years old and like your cat, quite ill before he died (think diapers, hand feeding, pills).

Marianne Moore. Makes me want to sing a round of "The Old Ball Game." She's amazing. Good match.
painted maypole said…
i love that the year managed to keep it alive, you planted it at a grave. remembrance, indeed.

Merry Christmas!
Unknown said…
Merry Christmas Julie! After reading this post I want to go find some Rosemary to sprinkle on my floors. Of course, you might not be able to see it with all the other crud that is lying around on the floor. At least the room would smell nice!

I love hearing about Christmas traditions. I had never heard about rosemary and Christmas before. Thanks for sharing.

(At the risk of making yet another false promise, I hope to be a more regular visitor here in the next few weeks!)
Kat said…
What a beautiful story. Now I want to run out and find a little rosemary.
Merry Christmas!
Christine said…
merry christmas my dear friend. i too, love rosemary. sorry i haven't been around--i've missed you, though.

Running on empty
Kellan said…
Merry Christmas, Julie - to you and your precious family. See you soon. Kellan
Angie McCullagh said…
Rosemary does have the most amazing fragrance...and I really like your blog. I've seen your comments all over the place and finally just clicked on one. Glad to have found you.

Angie
(www.AllAdither.com)
Anonymous said…
Merry Christmas to you and yours, Julie! Have a great holiday.
dharmamama said…
Merry Christmas, Julie!

I hope your day is magic.
Mary Alice said…
Merry Christmas from the Frontline Family.

Popular posts from this blog

In defense of vanity...I think

Do you have one of those issues where you argue with yourself? Where you just aren't sure what you actually think because there are so many messages and opinions on the topic around you? I have more than one like this. However, there is one topic that has been struggling to the top of my mind recently: vanity and perceived vanity. Can vanity be a good thing? Vanity has historically been truly reviled. Vanity is number seven of the Seven Deadly Sins. It's the doppleganger of number seven on the Seven Holy Virtues list: humility. There are many moralistic tales of how vanity makes you evil and brings about a spectacular downfall. Consider the lady who bathed in the blood of virgins to maintain her youth. Google Borgia+vanity and find plenty. The Brothers Grimm and Disney got in on the act too. The Disney message seems to be: the truly beautiful don't need to be vain. They are just naturally eye-catchingly gorgeous. And they are all gorgeous. Show me the Reubenesque Princess.

Cancer's Calling Card

Foreword: I'm not a medical person, or any kind of expert. This post shouldn't be taken as God's word carved in stone by Moses. In other words, don't consider it to be any kind of authority or use it to treat, diagnose, or select medications. Do your own research and talk to your doctor, an actual expert, who, you know, went to medical school and stuff. This post is merely my best understanding of cancer and cancer treatment and prevention, as related to our situation, based on what I've learned from reading and talking to doctors. Author's Note: If you aren't interested in the cancer discussion and the things I learned, and only want to know the outcome of our appointment with the oncologist yesterday, skip to the end. I've divvied this up by sections, so go to the last section. What would you do if one day a postcard arrived in the mail to warn you that sometime in the next three years you would be diagnosed with cancer? Would you believe it? Change an

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Quorum

After being confronted with written evidence, Julie admits that she is a total attention whore. In some things, in some ways, sometimes I look outward for validation of my worth and existence. I admit it. It's my weak spot, my vanity spot . If you say I am clever, comment on a post, offer me an award, mention me on your blog, reply to a comment I left on your blog, or in any way flatter me as a writer...I am hopelessly, slavishly devoted to you. I will probably even add you to my blogroll just so everyone can see the list of all the cool kids who actually like me . The girl, she knows she is vain in this regard , but after much vanity discussion and navel-gazing , she has decided to love herself anyway, as she is (ironically) and will keep searching for (1) internal validation and (2) her first person . Until I reach a better point of self-actualization, though, may I just say that this week you people have been better than prozac and chocolate (together, with a side of white choc