Skip to main content

Curses, with Travel, and some Just Posts and Hmms on the side

As Persistence develops her talking skills, in addition to the Italian accent, she tends to sound somewhat like a drunken sailor, by which I mean uses Very Base Language.

In the car, she regularly yells, "F*CK! F*CK!"

I can see how you might blame me here---my aggressive driving and verbosity. However, it's not the case.

She's simply expressing her joy at seeing a large truck.

It occurred to me after a few of these episodes (and similar) that cursing, in addition to being Very Base Language Indeed, also includes some of the easiest words to say.

And so, the next time you are Beyond Ability to Speak Coherently or are, for some reason struggling to speak, and all that occurs to you are some curses, understand this is your reptilian brain reaching deep and finding the simple language that it can comprehend and verbalize.

Then say, "No, I meant to say truck, honestly!"

***********************************************************************************

I confess: I'm out of town. I know, I said nothing, but there you have it. It didn't occur to me as an issue until I realized I will be traveling on Hump Day Hmm day.

I have been getting your emails, and I will put up the Hump Day Hmm host post. But it will probably be later Wednesday.

Also I am trying to email out the button text to those who have asked for it.

************************************************************************************

In the meantime, make sure to drop by Jens' spot to review the incredible list of participants in June's Just Post.



copyright 2007 Julie Pippert

Comments

thailandchani said…
LOL! That's funny! You're right though about the curse words. They are the easiest to say!

There is no release like the release affording at a loud *f-word*. Now that I've learned how to say it in Thai, it's become more frequent because I have the luxury of not being understood.

Bad habit though. I know. LOL

I will write a post for the Hmmm tomorrow... late morning.



Peace,

~Chani
Tere said…
I muttered a bad word in Spanish a couple of days ago, and Max, as he does with EVERY word out of my mouth lately, repeated it.

Hhmm. It was both hilarious and mortifying.
Anonymous said…
Another story from when I was young and getting used for wresting practice: my brother had me pinned down and I started to say "For goodness sake, let me up!" but all I could manage was "Ffffff" and "uck" because he was crushing my lungs. He was on his feet and running to tell on me in one smooth move! No one believed me.

I really want to participate in the Hmm, but I am totally empty headed. It seems to be a lingering condition.
Lawyer Mama said…
What? Like being out of town is an excuse? C'mon, woman!

BAaaaaahaaaaaaa! I'm LMAO at Persistence here. I may have to try that....
Anonymous said…
I have a friend whose kid said "f*ckie" for extra big trucks.

Send the button, but how do I attach the thing? I managed to download it but I am a total moron about these things.
Unknown said…
My son could say truck perfectly until the day we saw a fire truck out the window. For months and months, it was only Fire F&ck. It was hilarious. He was around two at the time, also, I think.
Unknown said…
ROFL...Patience and I had a conversation in the car about that the other day. She recognized that I was flustered by Persistence's persistence in using the word f*ck over and over and over.

When I finally realized she was referring to the truck next to us I valiantly tried to help her substitute the "tr" for the "f".

Finding great pleasure in my discomfort, Patience assured me...repeatedly, that she was not saying truck, but f*ck.

So it goes...
S said…
Hahahah. I love jon's comment.

Happy traveling!
Girlplustwo said…
i really like this hump day topic and have been too Just Post consumed to participate properly...dude.
Anonymous said…
You and your husband are too funny.

I wonder if my kids will buy that.
Kyla said…
Out of town! Fun!

And KayTar, says "Storyc*ck!", which is meant to be "Story rocks!" from the Pinky Dinky Doo song.

And yes, she is all hopped up on the A-Doo-doo. She even does the dance. Dear goodness.

But she runs around saying "Storyc*ck! Storyc*ck!" all the live long day. The joys of emerging language. I totally get a kick out of it. :)
Catherine said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Catherine said…
I wrote mine - two weeks in a row! I tried posting the link in my last comment, but it freaked out. Have a great trip! :)
thailandchani said…
Post is ready. :)

http://thailandgal.blogspot.com/2007/07/carry-on-baggage.html
Cecilio Morales said…
Sure she wasn't saying tr*ck?
Anonymous said…
zag014 The best blog you have!
Anonymous said…
effoYb Magnific!
Anonymous said…
Magnific!
Anonymous said…
Thanks to author.
Anonymous said…
actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.

Popular posts from this blog

Restaurant Trauma in Texas: How eating out prompted a really uncomfortable lesson about culture

WARNING: This is NOT a family-friendly post, aka the warning I WISH I'd gotten yesterday before I walked in. Yesterday was a Holiday. I hope you heard the scare quotes around that. Yeah, when you are an adult here is how holidays work: you, same workload as always, kids WOO HOO NO SCHOOL FREEDOM. Do the equation. The result is the day I had yesterday. If math isn't your strong suit I'm pretty sure you can still add that up but just in case let's say the highlight of the afternoon included me dumping out the mismatched sock basket and telling the children to have at it, in a way very reminiscent of Miss Hannigan of Annie . Anyway luckily I've taught my kids that Chores are Fun! and they had a good time. Later, I cranked up the fun-o-meter on a bank errand by dropping in the Halloween store to check out costumes, and upped the ante on "Mom needs new running shoes" by tacking on a "Hey let's eat out at a restaurant!" My husband was able to join ...

First it was cocktails and now it's marijuana?

Oh wouldn't Meredith Vieira love to get her graspy judgmental paws on this one: " I'm a Better Mother When Stoned ," by LJ Wilson (pseudonym) currently up at Babble (along with caveat that Babble doesn't endorse alcohol or illegal drug use while parenting). The only problem is I'm afraid I might end up nodding along with her as she rasps out a smug and self-righteous snarky comment that slams all parents who toke a dubie while parenting. Wilson writes I've been a weekend pot smoker since I was about eighteen. As a new mother, I continued the indulgence, but only when I was out and my son had a babysitter. I swore I'd never be stoned around my kid. And that plan worked for two and a half years, right up until one morning when my toddler waged a concerted campaign to fray each of my nerves. Wow. My first moment of disbelief was that it took two and a half years for her child to fray her nerves . That's some laid back well-behaved kid! Or some laid ...

It's cancer

Adenocarcinoma. This is a common form of colorectal cancer. From About.com Definition of Adenocarcinoma Let's break it down. "Adeno-" is a prefix that means "gland." In general, glands secrete things and are classified as endocrine or exocrine. Endocrine glands secrete things into the bloodstream, like hormones. Exocrine glands secrete things that go outside of the body, like mucus and sweat. A carcinoma is a malignant tumor that starts in epithelial tissue. Put the two words together and you get "adenocarcinoma," which means a malignant tumor in epithelial tissue, specifically in a gland. Cause of Adenocarcinoma Virtually all adenocarcinomas develop from adenomas. In general, the bigger the adenoma, the more likely it is to become cancerous. For example, polyps larger than two centimeters (about the diameter of a nickel) have a 30-50 percent chance of being cancerous. You can learn more about polyp size and colon cancer risk by viewing the Polyp Size...